Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] mount mac os x install disc in linux

Beans

[SOLVED] mount mac os x install disc in linux

can someone tell me how to mount a mac os x install disc in ubuntu? I am trying just to make an iso of the disc so i can use it with vmware or virtualbox. i have installed hfsutils and run sudo hmount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 and get this error. hmount: /dev/scd0: not a Macintosh HFS volume (Invalid argument)

I have no idea where to go from here.

I am kind of new so need some step-by-step instructions on how to make these isos from the install discs. File manager in ubuntu shows the title of the install discs correctly, but will not mount no matter what i do.

thanks,

Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: mount mac os x install disc in linux

You do the installation within VMware or VirtualBox. In both of these, you start by making a new virtual drive and you follow the steps until you're asked for the installation CD/DVD. I believe that you need to use a physical drive to install within Linux, but I may be wrong. If you do, you'll first have to burn your iso to disk.
    Last edited by mfox; October 22nd, 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: misread the question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mfox View Post
    You do the installation within VMware or VirtualBox. In both of these, you start by making a new virtual drive and you follow the steps until you're asked for the installation CD/DVD. I believe that you need to use a physical drive to install within Linux, but I may be wrong. If you do, you'll first have to burn your iso to disk.
    Yep, you can use the physical media.

Beans

well, i tried that it it says no bootable media in drive. I want to make the isos so i need to mount it in linux to do that. i use virtualbox in a linux host and don't want to install on my laptop, just make the isos so that vmware on a different machine will load. the other machine doesn't seem to like the actual cd, but will install from an older version that is iso format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhollon View Post
    can someone tell me how to mount a mac os x install disc in ubuntu? I am trying just to make an iso of the disc so i can use it with vmware or virtualbox. i have installed hfsutils and run sudo hmount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 and get this error. hmount: /dev/scd0: not a Macintosh HFS volume (Invalid argument)
    You do not need 'hmount'.
    If you Optical Drive is '/dev/hda' type
    Code:
    sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda /media/cdrom
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Now, that is what i needed. mounted up now. perfect thanks a ton

Beans
    Distro

Can you please mark the thread as solved?
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

new problem,. i used the sudo command above and got it mounted but when i try to create an iso it just dies out. so, i thought, see if you can copy the files and i get an error on say the 'library' file that i don't have permissions to copy this file. I am at a loss at this point.

so close, yet so far

Beans
    Distro

How are you trying to make an .iso file? Are you working as root?

Beans

i'm an idiot, got so excited it mounted forgot to run brasero as root to make the iso. making iso now, no errors for now. when it completes error free, i will mark the thread as solved. thanks again for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast