Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

I had a thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=955552

Which was closed because: "This is possible, but it sounds very much like you are trying to do something on a private network you should not be doing.

This kind of activity is not supported on these forums and I would direct you to your network administrator."

I can assure you that I am not doing anything fishy or even border line fishy. I would just like to use Linux in a University computer lab. I've got multiple hours between courses and I am looking for something to do. I have checked with the network policies, and this does not violate them:

[To respect the privacy of other users.

To respect the rights of other users.

To respect the legal protection provided by copyright and licensing of data and programs.

To respect the intended use of resources.

To respect the intended use of systems for electronic exchange, such as email.

To respect the integrity of the system or network.

To respect the financial structure of a computing or networking system.]

I'm sure that most of the community prefers Linux to Windows and I don't see how running Linux in a virtual box would be harmful. If there is a harmful use, don't mention it. I don't even want to read it.
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: How to run Linux in Windows with limited access/rights

I suggest that if this is OK you should consult the University IT department for assistance not here

The fact that you are asking for assistance on these forums adds weight to the belief that what you are attempting is un-authorised
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have all ready emailed the IT department, and I am waiting on a reply.

But isn't that just like a person to assume the worst.

I posted on these forums because the Ubuntu community is a knowledgable, helpful, and active community...I.E. I don't have to wait for someone getting paid $7.50/hour to reply to my email and tell me they don't know wtf I'm talking about.
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with KiwiNZ here, and I'll add a bit of technical reasoning behind this:

All of the reasonable speed methods of doing what you want to do requires installing a system-level virtualization package which requires administrative access.

The alternative is a CPU simulator like QEmu in userspace, which would take like 20 minutes to boot Puppy and react to mouse clicks in 5 seconds, which I'm sure is probably not what you want

As a result, what you are asking to do is almost certainly going to go down the road of "how to get administrative rights when I don't have them". The alternative to this, of course, is to consult the system administrators of your network and try to work with them to make a virtualization solution available for you to use as a limited user (i.e. have them deploy a copy of VMWare or similar software on the system).
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

These computers are pretty damn new. I don't think it would take 5 full seconds for a click. I've run linux in a virutal box at my high school, in a class nonetheless, where the teacher encouraged it. Those computers are probably closer to a decade older than these computers (they were running Windows 2000), and it didn't take 5 seconds to respond to a click when running XP in the virtual box! So I don't see how Puppy Linux, which is light and snappy on a 15 year old computer would have a 5 second lag on a damn near new computer.

I don't want administrative rights, and I fail to see how running a virtual box of puppy linux off a USB flash drive would allow you to access anything on the host box aside from hardware (i.e. cd/dvd drive).

Beans

You have asked the IT department, wait for their response

This is not the place for this .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What do you mean this isn't the place to talk about it?

Absolute beginner talk: "The perfect starting place to find out more about computers, Linux and Ubuntu."

Beans

I mean Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Like a quoted before "Absolute Beginner Talk: The perfect starting place to find out more about computers, Linux, and Ubuntu."

My question is about running Linux on a computer as opposed to Windows. It doesn't violate anything from http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy and I don't see why you won't allow the community to reply to my thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Like a quoted before "Absolute Beginner Talk: The perfect starting place to find out more about computers, Linux, and Ubuntu."

My question is about running Linux on a computer as opposed to Windows. It doesn't violate anything from http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy and I don't see why you won't allow the community to reply to my thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast