Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO surf anonymous

Beans

Re: HOW TO surf anonymous

Thanks, works great, except for one part. When I'm using Chatzilla, it shows my ip as my real ip and not the fake one. When I do a Whois of myself in chatzilla, it shows <xx-xxx-xxx-xx.ptldme.east.verizon.net> Which is completly correct. Can I use this trick in Chatzilla? Thanks!
    Last edited by GStubbs43; July 31st, 2006 at 02:46 PM.

Beans

I'd edit your post and remove the IP address you posted - it makes you a bit of a target for idiots.

I haven't used chatzilla for a long time but I recall that it can't be configured to work with a proxy. You could run it use torify or similar. Better, you can use another client - Gaim works well with Tor and supports most IM protocols. Gaim also has a plugin for the OTR encryption package.

Beans

First all my java flash etc are gone now

My ff will not let the thing install by itself when Im trying to do that
    https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...firefox&id=125
    Have tried to tar and install that one with no luck?
    Have a chrome folder in my /home sounds pretty wrong.

Do not really get this how exact where do you input
    forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

Where do I switch proxy?

Then Firefox > extra > switch Proxy > Preferences > and apply "show toolbar"
    This Im not getting at all Im looking in my ff like every where but cant really find this one?

What do you sugget me to do?

This sounds to me like Im should start all over again and get my mozilla add this plugin for starter but how?
    Like remove package or?

Would be nice to hear what you should have done plz

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Aside from switchproxy there's also the torbutton addon for mozilla/firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2275/
    Simpler to configure and less obtrusive in the browser window.
    Reality is what you make of it.

Beans

Nice job, works very well for me. What should I do if I dont want tor and privoxy to start with boot? I want to turn them on by hand when I need and them to be off all the rest time. How do I do that?
    | .ee, .ru | Registered Linux user: #422027 | Grazhdanskaya Oborona | My LJ |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Is there any step-by-step guide for 6.06? if seems that I have hard time making it work

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by mcman42 View Post
    Nice job, works very well for me. What should I do if I dont want tor and privoxy to start with boot? I want to turn them on by hand when I need and them to be off all the rest time. How do I do that?
    Do you mean the daemon(s) or just in the browser? If it's just in the browser (firefox) it's enough to have the torbutton or switchproxy addon to switch it on/off when you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by lonetree View Post
    Is there any step-by-step guide for 6.06? if seems that I have hard time making it work
    Be more specific, what is the problem?
    Reality is what you make of it.

Beans

I meant the daemons. I got them not to load on boot through System->Administration->Boot-up manager and it works nice so I got it to work on my own.

But I am still wondering what would I have to do if I wanted to change this through terminal instead of graphic interface. What commands would I have to use?
    | .ee, .ru | Registered Linux user: #422027 | Grazhdanskaya Oborona | My LJ |

Beans

this isn't "anonymous". in fact, you are just spreading your ip all over the world now. so that other's can use it, for their dirty deeds. can you make your house invisible? can you erase your face? no and you can't erase your internet traces either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
    this isn't "anonymous". in fact, you are just spreading your ip all over the world now. so that other's can use it, for their dirty deeds. can you make your house invisible? can you erase your face? no and you can't erase your internet traces either.
    ^^This is nonsensical.

There is no such thing as true anonymity, but there are degrees of anonymity. Tor is not perfect but it does 2 things:

1. Encrypts traffic between you and your ISP so that your ISP cannot see where you are browsing and what you are browsing.

2. Disguises the connection to the remote server by multiple encrypted hops through intermediate nodes so that the remote server cannot determine your IP.

mcman42

You could disable tor in the system services and then run it manually from the command line - just use the 'tor' command. You might have to kill it with a 'killall tor'.
    Last edited by j-strap2; August 1st, 2006 at 01:27 PM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast