Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO surf anonymous

Beans

Re: HOW TO surf anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tressica View Post
    How do you shut off Privoxy? It's messing with my email and I need it off NOW. Do I just run [killall tor] ?
    Run
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy stop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tressica View Post
    How do you shut off Privoxy? It's messing with my email and I need it off NOW. Do I just run [killall tor] ?
    In drop-down menu on the Privoxy toolbar choose "None", then click on "Apply" button next to the drop-down menu, and enjoy your connection as usual.

My Privoxy doesn't want to get installed under Ubuntu 9.04. Reason is tor package, which is no longer available but was mentioned in the dependencies list for the other package. Can anyone help me installing it?
    Last edited by xyepblra; May 4th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by xyepblra View Post
    My Privoxy doesn't want to get installed under Ubuntu 9.04. Reason is tor package, which is no longer available but was mentioned in the dependencies list for the other package. Can anyone help me installing it?
    Check out http://www.avuc.nl/2009/05/04/tor-on-ubuntu-904/. seems like that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great HOWTO, but
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install tor privoxy
    won't work for tor in Jaunty. Download debian package for tor and install it manually. The rest will be as easy as described by Dutch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

FYI all,

Anon browsing via proxies and TOR, for the most part, is successful. But know that there's no such thing as 100% of the time anonymous browsing. Code can be used on a Web docs that detects proxies, as well as TOR exit nodes, and the script can then do other things, like make requests to multimedia or other plugins that will send back the real IP address assigned by your ISP. And there are other methods of determining a visitor's real IP address.

I bring this up in case anyone thinks that their identity is secured by surfing anonymously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well,

nice writeup so far...

Anyone needing to surf anon just google "anonymizer" and it should come up with tonnes of results

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, have been reading this thread and I have some questions, (I have also read the http://www.jgmnet.org/torfaq.html and that diden't help me much) I have added to proxys and "http://www.jgmnet.org/torfaq.html" says that you can use tor with a database, so how do I connect tor and the datebase?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the post Dutch, it worked for me.

Beans

OK this really doesn't seem to want to work for me. This is what I've done...

1. Followed all the steps in the HOWTO
    2. Realized that Tor wasn't installed because this guide is really old and 9.04 doesn't have it
    3. Installed Tor through looking at the torproject.com linux installation advice
    4. Installed Tor Button

So now I've got Privoxy toolbar showing on my firefox, with my single proxy '127.0.0.1'. The settings are 127.0.0.1 with 8118 in all the port boxes except in the SOCKS box where I've stuck 9050 as the port number. On the bottom of my browser I have the Tor button text which toggles between Tor Disabled and Tor Enabled when I click it.

I go to the IP checker site and my IP hasn't changed. Since the IP hasn't changed, I'm not going to complain about it not working for blocked (in China) sites yet.. since I can't seem to get it to work for unblocked sites!

Note: I'm in China and I want to use this as a way to get around the bloody 'Great (fire)wall'. I usually use web based proxies but they often get shut down by the government within a couple of days. If I can get this to work, will it give me the same experience as a web-based proxy site without having to find a new one every 3 days?

I'm completely new to Ubuntu (and proxies in general!) so please bear with me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nice tutorial. Works fine for me. (but i don't NEED to be surfing anonymously )

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast