Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In love with Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In love with Xubuntu

First of all, i want all the informations about the Xubuntu project that you can give me, website, where are the forums about it, and more info, man.. i m in love with it.

I will install Ubuntu in a 400mhz pc this monday, finally convinced my boss that i would work better if i was in linux.

So i read about Xubuntu and decided to try it out at my home pc (A64 2800+, 512MB RAM).

And now i m in love with it, good bye Ubuntu (Gnome), welcome Xubuntu (xfce).

My first impressions couldnt be better.

1 - I really loved the blue boot up screen.
    2 - It flies man.. i cant believe how fast my computer is running
    3 - I though it was kinda of a "ripped" desktop without anything, but i was wrong, i has almost everything i had in gnome.
    4 - I love being able to drag my windows to another desktop and go to another desktop draging the mouse to the edge of the screen.
    5 - The control panel rules, its perfect, in the screenshot below you can see it, it changed my resolution without restarting X, and its very easy and intuitive to use.

But i disliked some stuffs, o here are my questions

1 - How can i make the main panel fill all the screen width?
    2 - Is there a way to make rox delete with DEL and not CTRL + X? Is there any Tree views or sidebars on it? Can it generate video thumbnails?
    3 - Is there some kind of way to have a desktop? or maybe a right click feature on the wallpaper?

And i really wanna know more about the project, but the main question in this thread is:

Is there any plans for a Xubuntu CD, that will install Xubuntu, and JUST Xubuntu, of course with all the ubuntu apps and features.

Here a screenshot:

And for those who want to install it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    Install it, you are not going to regret it
    Last edited by sapo; November 27th, 2005 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: In love with Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    1 - How can i make the main panel fill all the screen width?
    If I remember correctly, you can't maximize the panel but you can maximize the taskbar. So, I added the taskbar to my main panel and then made the taskbar expand to fill the bottom of the screen. (aka windows-style)

Beans

2 - Is there a way to make rox delete with DEL and not CTRL + X?
    That'd be interesting to know. When I used Xfce I used ROX and in the beginning of fluxbox I used it.. Now it's pretty much all command line for me...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by majikstreet
    That'd be interesting to know. When I used Xfce I used ROX and in the beginning of fluxbox I used it.. Now it's pretty much all command line for me...
    The 3 things i miss in rox:

1 - Tree view
    2 - Video thubnails
    3 - Move Files

But that thing is fast O_O

Beans

I love Xfce, really I do, I'd use it, if only I could get it to make windows flash like in GNOME and KDE. I'd adore you for life if you could tell me how to do that XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I used to ues Xfce back in the day when I ran Gentoo.
    Those slim window managers like xfce and openbox never really did it for me, I always felt less user friendly to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

First of all, i want all the informations about the Xubuntu project that you can give me, website, where are the forums about it, and more info, man.. i m in love with it.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu

Beans

4 - I love being able to drag my windows to another desktop and go to another desktop draging the mouse to the edge of the screen.
    The program called brightside lets you do that in Gnome.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

You can use the Del key in rox with a little bit of tweaking.

Add this line to the file .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory. Or create it if it does not exist.
    Code:
    gtk-can-change-accels = 1
    Close any Rox windows. Then open Rox again and hover the mouse over the Delete command in the context menu. Press the Del key and the accelerator will disappear. Press Del again and 'Delete' will show up as the new accelerator. You can repeat this process to change any of the shortcuts.

There is a way to get thumbnails for video files but I haven't ever tried to install it myself. Here's the URL though: http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/rox/VideoThumbnail.html

Totally Off-Topic edit:
    Sapo, what group has done subs for One Piece up to episode 206!?
    Last edited by psychicdragon; November 27th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.

Beans

I'd like to experiment with xfce on Ubuntu, but I'm afraid I'd break my system. Questions:

1. What happens to system when you run install xubuntu-desktop? Does the system automatically switch from Gnome to Xfce?

2. If not, how do I switch my default desktop loaded on startup from Gnome to Xfce. Is there a modification required to a startup script? If so, what and where?

3. How do I switch my default desktop back to Gnome?

4. How do I manually switch between them, e.g. keep Gnome as my default startup desktop and switch to xfce on the fly when I want to experiment.

I'd like to try it, but I'd want to get a comfort level with it before switching it over as my default. Thus the need to know how to easily switch between the two on the fly, and the need to eventually know how to permanently switch the default startup desktop.

thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast