Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] hardy upgrade broke internet connection

Beans

Re: hardy upgrade broke internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    That sounds like it could be a DNS problem. Can you access websites if you put their IP addresses directly into the address bar (e.g. 72.14.207.99
    for Google)?

If that doesn't help, you should probably start a new thread so that things don't become too convoluted here. Please let me know the URL and I'll follow there.
    Yeah, I have a thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...37#post6018237

Didn't mean to hijack this one either, it just sounded similar. I'm at work, and I'll try accessing a website via the IP when I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yeah, I have a thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...37#post6018237

Didn't mean to hijack this one either, it just sounded similar. I'm at work, and I'll try accessing a website via the IP when I get home.
    Thanks, I'll follow that thread. It's alright that you posted in this thread, but since I think that the root of your problem is quite different from that of the original poster's here, I think it's better to separate the two issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Did you check to see whether it works under the Hardy or Intrepid live CD? That's useful to know, because it would determine whether the problem is a bug in Hardy/Intrepid, or merely a configuration problem with your particular system.
    Ok I tried hardy live cd, and got nothing, absolutely nothing. Then I tried fedora 9 live cd and I had problems there too.

In both cases connection was established but I couldn't surf the web. Only in fedora I could access the router, ping sites and occasionaly get at about 60% loading a webpage before it stopped.

I 'm starting to think this might be a hardware related problem. But why work in windows then? The only thing I can think of is that the router suddenly stopped working with linux for some reason.

The router can be operated as a pppoe modem too. I will try this mode next time I boot linux to see if something changes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yes, I agree that the behavior you're describing is pretty strange and inconsistent, so I wouldn't rule hardware failure out. Are you sure that the card works 100% in Windows? And have tried rebooting the router?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[SOLUTION] Re: hardy upgrade broke internet connection

Ok, I solved it somehow. There seems to be a problem with my router.

When set in routed mode it gives an ip to the computer but then it doesn't let it navigate (NAT is configured). I then tried to set it as a dsl modem and establish a connection through pppoeconf and it worked like a charm.

So now I'm using it this way until I figure out what's going on. Apparently this is not a linux problem (having tried ubuntu and fedora), though it's still strange that I don't experience this behaviour in windows...

Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied in this thread.
    Last edited by dresnu; October 26th, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12