Thread: Installing php extensions (Hardy Heron)

Beans

Question Installing php extensions (Hardy Heron)

Could some one aid me in installing following php extensions in Ubuntu 8.04 "The Hardy Heron" on php5: mb_string, and mysqli. Thanks in advance for your time and support.
    Last edited by Carbonfiber; October 22nd, 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Installing php extensions (Hardy Heron)

Beans

yes i have read that post before, i am extremely new to php and linux and i dont know how to check the phpinfo.php output. Could some one break that down for me?? and what about mysqli??

Beans

sorry for the double post...but maby this question is to difficult for the Absolute Beginner Talk thread????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Installing PHP5 within debian packages is not simple 'cause many extensions where not included with such package.

Suggestion:
    If you are really a beginner one, you may use all in one web development software from Apachefriends as known as XAMPP for Linux (long ago it was LAMPP).
    You'll find PHP 5.2.6 + MySQL 5.0.5 + Apache 2.2.9 with most needed modules and extensions as you need on the newer XAMPP (today V 1.6).
    XAMPP fully compatible with Ubuntu and you'll easy to use it.
    Last edited by matrix14; October 22nd, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

Thank you for your input it is much appreciated. Do i need to uninstall apache,msql,and php before installing XAMPP. If so what are the uninstall commands or should i just use a package manager? Also do you know for a fact that XAMPP includes the two extensions in question that i must have for my server to operate correctly?