Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Songbird m4a support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Songbird m4a support?

My flatmate has iTunes (Damn him!), and a lot of the music i have got on my computer is from his.
    Im trying to use Songbird, but it wont play m4a's. Is there anyway i can get it to play them?

note: I have installed all restricted codecs, and gstreamer files on my machine.

Beans

Re: Songbird m4a support?

this is from the Songbird web site:

"Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA and WMA DRM on Windows; and AAC and Fairplay on Windows and Mac."

It does not look like you can on Linux but reading some posts on the web site gives me the impression it is supported in the recent version. I don't see why if they can make it work on Mac and Windows they can't on Linux. Are you sure your friends files are not protected by drm? Also are you sure they are m4a and not in Apple Lossless? Apple Lossless is ALAC not AAC.

There is a discussion here (http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/...g_to_gstreamer) that might shed some light - it looks like it will depend on what core you are using. I am not an expert in Songbird but you should be able find some help on there web site.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Songbird m4a support?

Cheers for the info, turns out they are apple lossless which isn't yet supported.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Songbird m4a support?

If you have songbird 0.7 it should play all m4a files including apple lossless (alac).
    see screen
    If 0.7 can't play a file then it offers to play back thru a supported player (if possible

Beans

Sorry to bump a year old question. I had the same problem after a vanilla install of Ubuntu 9.04 and Songbird 1.20. However, the same file plays fine if I use mplayer to play the file (this helped me verify that the file was not corrupted).

As it turned out, the problem is because I lacked gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package. So all you'd need to do (assuming if you have a relatively recent version of Ubuntu and a relative recent version of Songbird) is use Synaptic and search for gstreamer ffmpeg and install that.

Hope this helps some other lost souls

Beans

Had the same problem (9.04+1.2 no m4a playback). Thank you for the solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by andree_b View Post
    Had the same problem (9.04+1.2 no m4a playback). Thank you for the solution!
    Thank you so much. It took me so long to find this post. Thanks. It works! Yay. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, Songbird 1.4.3 (and also 1.80a).

I had to install Gstreamer-0.10-plugins-good/bad/ugly and the multiverse versions of all of those, and FINALLY the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package.

All my m4a files work!

Beans

btw. I have to use "SB_GST_SYSTEM=1 songbird" on 10.4 to since mixing system gstreamer plugins and songbirds local ones doesnt work any more. (at least with the binary 1.4.3 that i have installedI)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I already had the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package installed, but couldnt play m4a files. It was the SB_GST_SYSTEM=1 tip that fixed it for me. Thanks andree_b!!!

I put it in a little script, which I now use to run songbird flawlessly:

#!/bin/sh
    export SB_GST_SYSTEM=1
    /usr/local/songbird/songbird
    Ubooboo: Ubuntu fixes for newbs
    http://www.ubooboo.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 1jackjack View Post
    I already had the gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package installed, but couldnt play m4a files. It was the SB_GST_SYSTEM=1 tip that fixed it for me. Thanks andree_b!!!

I put it in a little script, which I now use to run songbird flawlessly:

#!/bin/sh
    export SB_GST_SYSTEM=1
    /usr/local/songbird/songbird
    Forgive me here, but I'm a linux noob. How did you do that fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast