Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba Networking with Vista + Ubuntu with Nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Samba Networking with Vista + Ubuntu with Nautilus

Ok, so rather than mucking with the registry directly, I used the Admin Tools as one poster described:

To stop the UAC you can go into your Control Panel, then Administrative Tools --> System Configuration --> Tools Tab --> Down to Disable UAC.
    In fact, the easiest way is to simply run msconfig as I've always been doing in XP to get to that panel to remove unnecessary services.

I disabled UAC and rebooted, but still get a blank folder when I try to access my Vista shares. I made sure "Password protected sharing" is off, and I can access the share from my XP PC, although it still requires me to type in my username and password. I even rebooted my Ubuntu PC and still can't access Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Try adding your Ubuntu username and password to the Vista machine (you can do this without giving it a login account), and grant it local access to the shared folder.

Beans
    Distro

I added a new user account and gave it access to the shared folder, but it makes no difference. I think there is something more as when I click on the share representing the Vista laptop, no shares are displayed. When I click on one of the shares representing an XP PC, all of it's shares are displayed, even the ones without shared access (ex., the root drives show up as $C, $D, $E, but if I try to click on them, it prompts to enter a password, which then fails to mount since I haven't shared them. When I click on a share that I've actually shared, the password works and I get the display of its contents).

I also found out I can enable/disable UAC through the Control Panel / User Accounts rather than drilling all the way down from Admin Tools or running msconfig. The check box to use UAC is unchecked here so I definitely turned it off with the other method that runs a DOS shell.

Beans
    Distro

What is the output of:
    Code:
    smbtree

Beans
    Distro

(Computer and network names have been changed to protect the not so innocent's privacy, but patterns remain the same, so you get the idea.)

The only real difference I see between my Vista laptop and the XP PCs is that the Vista box has a hyphenated name and the main shared folder is Documents rather than "Documents and Settings". Also I make sure the laptop screen is open and illuminated while testing this just to be sure it doesn't go to sleep and foul things up.

HOME
    \\PC1 PC1 XP
    \\PC1\Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    \\PC1\C$ Default share
    \\PC1\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
    \\PC1\SharedDocs
    \\PC1\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\PC1\D$ Default share
    \\PC1\IPC$ Remote IPC
    \\PC1\E$ Default share
    \\PC1\Documents and Settings
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP Laptop Vista
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\Public
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\Pictures
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\IPC$ Remote IPC
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\Documents
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\D$ Default share
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\C$ Default share
    \\VISTA-LAPTOP\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
    \\PC2 PC2 XP
    \\PC2\Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
    \\PC2\C$ Default share
    \\PC2\ADMIN$ Remote Admin
    \\PC2\SharedDocs
    \\PC2\print$ Printer Drivers
    \\PC2\D$ Default share
    \\PC2\IPC$ Remote IPC
    \\PC2\E$ Default share
    \\PC2\Documents and Settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There may be another difference .
    For XP the default workgroup is MSHOME
    and for VISTA it is WORKGROUP

Does this have any effect on how your SAMBA sharing should be configured?
    (Sorry I cannot test this for you as I am dual booting VISTA not networking it! But my limited knowledge of networking is nagging me that those sharing should be members of the same workgroup).

Hope this is helpful
    regards Zimmer

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    There may be another difference .
    For XP the default workgroup is MSHOME
    and for VISTA it is WORKGROUP
    I had the same thoughts. Unfortunately, the smbtree output above indicates that all the computers in the network are indeed a part of the same workgroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Does this have any effect on how your SAMBA sharing should be configured?
    Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes it does not. It certainly makes things much easier if the workgroup is homogeneous.

Beans
    Distro

I actually have the workgroup as MSHOME. (remember some names were changed in a feeble attempt to try to protect the not-so-innocent ) I don't think the workgroup name matters as long as it is homogeneous. And yes, when Nautilis/Samba prompts me the first time I open an XP share, I do have to change the workgroup from WORKGROUP to MSHOME to connect. I do remember the first time I tried to network a Vista PC to my XP network, it was somewhat of a PITA - I think it was more than simply the workgroup name, but I don't remember - maybe that was it since that was not long after I first networked my PCs and I was still new to networking.

I played around with the shares a bit (I had originally shared the entire Vista user folder, but to be consistant, moved the share down to the Documents folder, same as with the Documents and Settings folder on my XP PCs). When I removed the Vista share at the user level, immediately the Explorer browser on my XP PC noticed the update and popped up a dialog saying it didn't have permission for that folder. Yet, when I go back to browsing my Ubuntu Networks and the Vista shares, it still comes up with a blank folder.

Last night, I did install Virtualbox and try to load XP since there are still some MS programs that I need for which I haven't found a Linux replacement. I was hoping that this will give me a workaround as being an XP system, it should give me access to Vista that way. However, I couldn't get the floppy drive to mount and my XP CD not being bootable, wasn't able to load XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,
    My experience trying to connect vista with ubuntu is the following.
    in my vista i made all the recomendations said in the forum:
    1. network to private
    2. password protected sharing off
    3. the first 3 parts of the network and discovery are turned on, the exceptions are made in the wiindows firewall.
    (I do not know if I had to turned off the firewall of Norton also?)
    4. I added a new user account in Vista to recognice, the same user I am using in Ubuntu.

In Ubuntu,
    samba installed, (do not know how to know which version I am using, though)
    this is the result of smbtree:
    WORKGROUP
    \\KMJL-PC
    cli_start_connection: failed to connect to KMJL-PC<20> (0.0.0.0). Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
    \\IGNACIO-DESKTOP ignacio-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    \\IGNACIO-DESKTOP\PDF PDF
    \\IGNACIO-DESKTOP\Phaser_3117 Xerox Phaser 3117
    \\IGNACIO-DESKTOP\IPC$ IPC Service (ignacio-desktop server (Samba, Ubuntu))
    \\IGNACIO-DESKTOP\print$ Printer Drivers
    ignacio@ignacio-desktop:~$ cd \\KMJL-PC
    bash: cd: \KMJL-PC: No existe el fichero ó directorio
    ignacio@ignacio-desktop:~$ cd \KMJL-PC
    bash: cd: KMJL-PC: No existe el fichero ó directorio
    ignacio@ignacio-desktop:~$ cd \\WORKGROUP\KMJL-PC
    bash: cd: \WORKGROUPKMJL-PC: No existe el fichero ó directorio

in my ubuntu Nautilus/samba network I can see the vista pc called KMJL-PC but inside it there is nothing.

any suggestions?
    I am trying to concect using ubuntu hardy 8.04 L.T:S.
    and VISTA Home Premium.

th only thing I have not done is to configure the samba as it was said before in the forum:
    /etc/samba/smb.conf. This works for smbclient, but not for nautilus, for the simple reason that nautilus sources $HOME/.smb/smb.conf, NOT /etc/samba/smb.conf.

I believe this is important, but i have not configured anything in ubuntu and I woudl like to know if this is necessary, buecause user HDTImesHifeter has done and did not help.

do you think is necessary in my case also to configure it? I have done about the same as he did, and Had a blank panel in vista like he got.
    is it a problem with vista or with samba, what do you think?

Beans
    Distro

ignacio69, I tried all your steps 1-4 as well as changing $HOME/.smb/smb.conf so Nautilus can source it as someone else mentioned and still get a blank folder. Until yesterday, I was only accessing XP (and trying to access Vista) from Ubuntu. Well I tried sharing my Ubuntu printer to the Windows PCs, but that didn't work. Last night I tried sharing an Ubuntu folder, but that didn't work. Someone suggested configuring Samba to add user permission in my other thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...60#post6210960
    that I will try next.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast