Thread: What options are available on the alternate CD?

Beans

What options are available on the alternate CD?

I've done a bit of googling and even searched these forums but can't seem to find any details on what options are available during the alternate CD installation process.

Basically, I was planning to download an ubuntu minimal CD, allowing me to manually install my desktop of choice (Xfce4.x) and keep the system largely clean.

However, there aren't any ubuntu minimal CDs out for 8.10 beta and I was hoping to get this installation done before the official release and the subsequent repo downtime in the immediate aftermath.

So instead, I was thinking of downloading the alt CD to see if that allows for deep selective package installation. Does anyone know of any walkthroughs or screenshot tours which show all the options available on the alt CD?

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What options are available on the alternate CD?

When you boot the alternate CD you can select 'command-line installation' by pressing one of the F keys (can't remember which). It will install a very basic system which then lets you choose exactly what packages to install on top of it. Essentially it is the same as the mini ISO, except you have to download the whole ~600 MB CD instead of the ~10 MB mini ISO. The bonus though is that apt will use the packages from the CD instead of downloading them if you install them afterwards, making it quicker. This is what you want isn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are a couple of advantages.

1. The alternate CD can be run with a lower amount of RAM

2. When installing the OS, you can set up a completely encrypted system (encrypted LVM).

Reason 2 is why I've just used the alternate CD to install 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) Beta.

(And it just recognised my USB GSM dongle..)

The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he, by peddling second-rate technology, who led them into it in the first place.
    DA

Beans

Thanks, folks. Might download it tonight.

Beans

On alternative would be to install Xubuntu. This is Ubuntu with XFCE instead of Gnome.

Beans

Yeah I'm running the full Xubuntu desktop right now but there appear to be quite a few Gnome components running and I can't identify half the stuff being started with X. It's a struggle to keep Xubuntu < 100mb or RAM right after logging in. Supposedly, pure Xfce4 without all that stuff installed by default uses a fair bit less memory.