Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A new Windows Mobile sync thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A new Windows Mobile sync thread

I had pretty much given up on syncing my HTC Apache with Ubuntu. All the threads I've read on the subject have really discouraged me.

I'm a total Linux noob but in learning Ubuntu I've heard talk of "porting" programs being tossed around. I know what this means but dont know the technical aspects of it in an OS case, only gaming.

I got this post on one of my news feeds and was wondering if it's possible to port a program like this from Mac to Ubuntu?
    And the thread title of the year award goes to...
    " Supositories not working - On the verge of losing it here - help!"

Beans

Re: A new Windows Mobile sync thread

There is a Linux synchronization framework for Windows Mobile devices, and it does work well once you have it set up and working. I package the relevant stuff for Mandriva; I use a Windows Mobile phone as my main cellphone, and I sync it daily, it's simple and works reliably.

It's not as straightforward to set up on Ubuntu as it is on Mandriva as no official Ubuntu packager has yet taken an interest and integrated it properly into the Ubuntu repositories, but it should be possible. http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu is the place to start. The basic workflow is to get SynCE working to establish the basic communication with the phone; then create a partnership with the phone (there are various tools to do this, and you only have to do it once); then, once those two steps are done, use an opensync frontend - multisync-gui, kitchensync, or msynctool - to create a synchronization group containing the synce plugin and the plugin(s) for whatever you want to synchronize the phone with. Once that's done, each time you want to synchronize, all you have to do is connect the phone, run the opensync frontend, and tell it to synchronize that group.

The Mandriva documentation - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Synchronization - may also prove useful to you in some way, so I link it here. Of course, you can't just follow it on Ubuntu. The page I linked earlier (http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu ) should be your primary guide.

If you get stuck, you can ask for help in #synce on Freenode IRC. There's usually people around during European daytime hours.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    There is a Linux synchronization framework for Windows Mobile devices, and it does work well once you have it set up and working. I package the relevant stuff for Mandriva; I use a Windows Mobile phone as my main cellphone, and I sync it daily, it's simple and works reliably.

It's not as straightforward to set up on Ubuntu as it is on Mandriva as no official Ubuntu packager has yet taken an interest and integrated it properly into the Ubuntu repositories, but it should be possible. http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu is the place to start. The basic workflow is to get SynCE working to establish the basic communication with the phone; then create a partnership with the phone (there are various tools to do this, and you only have to do it once); then, once those two steps are done, use an opensync frontend - multisync-gui, kitchensync, or msynctool - to create a synchronization group containing the synce plugin and the plugin(s) for whatever you want to synchronize the phone with. Once that's done, each time you want to synchronize, all you have to do is connect the phone, run the opensync frontend, and tell it to synchronize that group.

The Mandriva documentation - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Synchronization - may also prove useful to you in some way, so I link it here. Of course, you can't just follow it on Ubuntu. The page I linked earlier (http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu ) should be your primary guide.

If you get stuck, you can ask for help in #synce on Freenode IRC. There's usually people around during European daytime hours.
    Thanks for the reply, but the idea I had was more towards the idea of full support, including installing programs. I thought maybe if this program could get working on Ubuntu it would be like a full featured interface for accessing your Pocket PC. I don't know how that works with Mac programs though.
    And the thread title of the year award goes to...
    " Supositories not working - On the verge of losing it here - help!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post

why not just port the apps over from mandriva to ubuntu in the form of a deb install for us ? if i could get my wm pocket pc to sync fully id totally swith to linux.
    When life tosses you lemons.... Throw them at stupid people !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    why not just port the apps over from mandriva to ubuntu in the form of a deb install for us ? if i could get my wm pocket pc to sync fully id totally swith to linux.
    Wouldn't it really be the ubuntu developers who should be doing this?
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: A new Windows Mobile sync thread

It is not that hard, but the documentation is outdated and misleading. Here is my best job at a tutorial:

First you need to add better repositories. You can get it to work with the standard packages in Ibex, but it doesn't work as smoothly.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    And add this to the bottom of the file:

The necessary modules are already included in the Intrepid kernel. Install the core libraries:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install synce-hal librra0-tools librapi2-tools
    Now connect your device to the computer and run:

synce-pls
    You should see a list of files on your device. If you device is password protected, then you will get this error:

. WARNING **: synce_info_from_odccm: Failed to get a connection for <device_name>: Not authenticated, you need to call !ProvidePassword with the correct password. pls: Could not find configuration at path '(Default)'
    You will need to install synce-trayicon or synce-kpm.

If you have the Gnome Network Manager running on Ubuntu, it will setup your device as the new default network connection. Check what ethernet device was given to your device with by running the following command in a terminal after you have connected your device:

/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep 80:00:60:0f:e8:00 | cut -d " " -f 1
    then add the next line to /etc/network/interfaces:

iface <interface of your device> inet dhcp
    This will make Gnome Network Manager ignore the interface. Then restart the networking with the command:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    You are going to need to disable any firewalls or configure them. I don't know how to do this, but I have seen lists of the necessary ports.

Now you can install the synce-engine, opensync libraries, and multisync front-end.

sudo apt-get install multisync-tools opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-synce
    KDE users can use opensync-plugin-kdepim instead of the evolution2 plugin. There is no Thunderbird support in any stable opensync release.

Now we are going to need to setup synce and opensync. The synce-sync-engine starts up automatically if you use the ppa repository. The synce-engine should work without a config file, but you may want to download the config file and edit it (it is no longer called config.xml):

mkdir ~/.synce
    wget -O ~/.synce/syncengine.conf.xml http://synce.svn.sf.net/svnroot/sync...fig/config.xml
    gedit ~/.synce/syncengine.conf.xml
    You may to disconnect and reconnect your device before the changes are loaded. Now you need to setup a sync profile on the device. Windows Mobile can only handle up to two profiles, so you may need to delete a profile first using synce-delete-partnership. To create a partnership use the following command. (You can tell it to sync "Contacts,Calendar,Tasks,Files". Delete the ones you don't want.)

synce-create-partnership "Linux desktop" "Contacts,Calendar,Tasks,Files"
    Now we need to setup a opensync. You can use the `multisync0.90' program to setup, or you can create the group and add components via commandline:

msynctool --addgroup synce-sync
    msynctool --addmember synce-sync synce-opensync-plugin
    msynctool --addmember synce-sync evo2-sync
    You can edit the settings with multisync0.90. To sync, press the button in multisync0.90 or do:

msynctool --sync synce-sync
    You can also press the sync button within activesync on the device. By using the custom config, you can change it to popup a terminal on your computer when activesync asks for a sync instead of doing it in the background.

Good luck. Sorry if the writing is hard to understand. However, I think that the commands are straight forward.

A special thanks to http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu (that is outdated)
    Last edited by TomtheWombat; January 10th, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheWombat View Post
    Now we are going to need to setup synce and opensync. The synce-sync-engine starts up automatically if you use the ppa repository. The synce-engine should work without a config file, but you may want to download the config file and edit it (it is no longer called config.xml):
    Unfortunately, synce-sync-engine DOESN'T start up automatically
    The visible result of it is in the next console output:

Code:
    vbulash@pc-vbulash:~$ synce-create-partnership "Ubuntu.WiTu" "Contacts,Calendar,Tasks" 

error: unable to connect to running sync-engine

Please ensure sync-engine is running before executing this command
    Ok, I'll try to start synce-engine by hands and got the following:

Code:
    vbulash@pc-vbulash:~$ synce-sync-engine
    SynCE sync-engine starting up
    2008-12-23 16:52:57,037 DEBUG syncengine : running main loop
    2008-12-23 16:52:57,037 DEBUG syncengine : creating SyncEngine object
    2008-12-23 16:52:57,063 DEBUG syncengine : installing signal handlers
    That's all - infinite waiting for signal handlers...

Trying to use synce-engine in another shell:

Code:
    vbulash@pc-vbulash:~$ synce-create-partnership "Ubuntu.WiTu" "Contacts,Calendar,Tasks" 
    Creating partnership...

error: failed to create partnership
    error: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.Disconnected
    Evidently, synce-engine doesn't working in any case
    What's up?

P.S. When started first time, synce-pls show me the folders of my WM6 device without any errors. When started second time and next (after all steps I wrote here), synce-pls show me the following:

Code:
    vbulash@pc-vbulash:~$ synce-pls

** (process:7735): CRITICAL **: synce_info_from_hal: Failed to obtain property pda.pocketpc.name for device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_80_00_60_0f_e8_00: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty: No property pda.pocketpc.name on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_80_00_60_0f_e8_00

** (process:7735): WARNING **: No devices connected to odccm
    synce-pls: Could not find configuration at path '(Default)'

Beans

+Little bit more...
    After PC reboot I've got the following behavior of synce-pls:

Code:
    vbulash@pc-vbulash:~$ synce-pls

** (process:6553): CRITICAL **: synce_info_from_hal: Failed to obtain property pda.pocketpc.name for device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_80_00_60_0f_e8_00: org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchProperty: No property pda.pocketpc.name on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_80_00_60_0f_e8_00
    Directory               2008-12-09 17:34:04  Личные/
    Directory               2008-12-10 08:35:56  DCIM/
    Directory               2008-01-01 12:00:20  Шаблоны/
    Directory               2008-12-09 17:34:04  Мои мелодии звонка/
    Directory               2008-12-09 17:34:04  Мои фотографии/
    Directory               2008-12-09 17:34:10  Моя музыка/
    Directory               2008-12-08 15:50:12  DOIM/
    Directory               2008-12-08 22:32:32  RSS Reader/
    Directory               2008-12-09 17:34:24  Служебные/
    Archive           4673  2008-12-15 19:01:46  Расходы.xlsx
    Archive             43  2008-12-09 18:28:24  Mobipocket.lnk
    Directory               2008-12-10 08:35:56  Мои видеозаписи/
    Yet another error, unfortunately...

Beans

Synce-engine needs to be running in order for synce-pls to work. Apparently it doesn't start as soon as you plug in your phone, but any synce command should start up the engine automatically.

Your synce-pls is obviously working at least once. That means that the engine started up. Try adding a synce relationship right after a successful synce-pls.

Also make sure that you add the ppa repositories that I listed above. It would not work for me with the intrepid packages!

Also you can only have maximum of 2 sync relationships on your mobile phone. It will refuse to add another one.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans

Also may want to try downloading and editing the config file.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast