Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Logitech illuminated keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Logitech illuminated keyboard.

Ok, so I am running Ubuntu 6.10 and my illuminated keyboard (Logitech) does not work. The keyboard is plugged in, and I am able to select to boot to either to my Windows/Linux.
    Once I load into Linux, the keyboard is illuminated at all times, yet I am not able to type anything. None of the keys work, just the Ctrl + Alt + Del combination (at the time of install). Even during the installation, I had to input the username using the character map and my mouse, because there was no input.
    I have read that other people have the keyboard and it works just fine.

Another thing, I am not able to set up my wireless. I am extremely new to the Linux environment. I mean, I had Ubuntu 6 installed previously on my laptop, but I did not run into any of these issues, and at the time I just had a LAN connection active. It has been about 4 years since I used it.
    My wireless card is a Linksys WMP54Gs; which according to what I have been reading it is compatible with Ubuntu. Yet, I am not able to get it to work.
    Priority is the keyboard though, because I could probably get the wireless up after all this research.
    Any help/comments is appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Logitech illuminated keyboard.

Just happened to stumble on to this thread while looking into how hard it would be to make all the special function keys work.

I picked up one of these Logitech Illuminated boards a week or two before Xmas at Staples. Regular price $80, marked down to $30. But honey, just think of all that money I saved!

I ran it in XP for the first few weeks. Installed the SetPoint software, which seemed to add another few seconds to the XP boot time. I really like the feel of the keys, the lighting is cool, and it's got a distinctive, sleek look.

Figured out a few kinks in our dual-boot, dual-monitor setup. Have been bopping back and forth between XP & Ubuntu 9.04 the last week.

The keys light up just like they did in XP. The dimming function works.

If I was smarter, or if Logitech made a Linux version of their SetPoint software, I'd have these keys configured to do the same things they're doing in XP.

EDIT: Yanny, you really need to move up to a more modern distro. I don't know about 9.10, which seems to have too many problems, but 9.04 would be a good candidate. Hopefully the LTS 10.4 will be a solid OS.
    Last edited by Bartender; December 28th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Just happened to stumble on to this thread while looking into how hard it would be to make all the special function keys work.

I picked up one of these Logitech Illuminated boards a week or two before Xmas at Staples. Regular price $80, marked down to $30. But honey, just think of all that money I saved!

I ran it in XP for the first few weeks. Installed the SetPoint software, which seemed to add another few seconds to the XP boot time. I really like the feel of the keys, the lighting is cool, and it's got a distinctive, sleek look.

Figured out a few kinks in our dual-boot, dual-monitor setup. Have been bopping back and forth between XP & Ubuntu 9.04 the last week.

The keys light up just like they did in XP. The dimming function works.

If I was smarter, or if Logitech made a Linux version of their SetPoint software, I'd have these keys configured to do the same things they're doing in XP.

EDIT: Yanny, you really need to move up to a more modern distro. I don't know about 9.10, which seems to have too many problems, but 9.04 would be a good candidate. Hopefully the LTS 10.4 will be a solid OS.

I also picked up a Logitech Illuminated this Christmas. So far it works exceptional in Hardy. The only issue I'm having is with a few multimedia keys. Most work. There are a few like fn+f4 that aren't registered by X. If you run xev it will show you all of your keybindings. When trying to capture fn+f4 there is no scan code for this combo. I was going to map it to pidgin but since I can't get a scan code, no dice. Anyone with some advice or is this out of range for X?

z

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by drzoo2 View Post
    I also picked up a Logitech Illuminated this Christmas. So far it works exceptional in Hardy. The only issue I'm having is with a few multimedia keys. Most work. There are a few like fn+f4 that aren't registered by X. If you run xev it will show you all of your keybindings. When trying to capture fn+f4 there is no scan code for this combo. I was going to map it to pidgin but since I can't get a scan code, no dice. Anyone with some advice or is this out of range for X?

z
    I can confirm that the fn+f4 doesn't produce anything in xev for me either, and it seems only the fn+f2 and fn+f3 keys work for me i.e. they are bound to something (but I am in Arch so the chances are I need to do some config editing )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    I can confirm that the fn+f4 doesn't produce anything in xev for me either, and it seems only the fn+f2 and fn+f3 keys work for me i.e. they are bound to something (but I am in Arch so the chances are I need to do some config editing )
    Well this applies to fn+f4,f5 and f6. I did a ton of digging last night only to find that the kernel doesn't recognize these. Most of the tutorials and answers I read on the subjest were on the Arch and Gentoo help.

There is a program called HIDPoint which is a Linux replacement for the Windows logitech software that comes with their hardware. Mice and Keyboards. This keyboard is supported but I am running 8.04 and the older kernel isn't supported in this so I have yet to try it. I also have a G5 laser mouse that I did mange to get running very well in Hardy. I look forward in trying this out. If you watch the demos it looks extremely promising.

Anyone using this and can confirm their Illuminated keyboard works 100%? I'm half tempted to install Jaunty just to try it out. What has me puzzled is if the kernel doesn't see these scancodes, how can HIDPoint?

z
    Last edited by drzoo2; January 21st, 2010 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Logitech illuminated keyboard.

Logitech plays very well with Linux. I have used Logitech mice and keyboards for many years.

I would be inclined to purchase the keyboard on the reputation of the company itself.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Logitech plays very well with Linux. I have used Logitech mice and keyboards for many years.

I would be inclined to purchase the keyboard on the reputation of the company itself.
    I purchased it with that reasoning and am very happy, even if the function keys are going to take a little while to get working...the actual keys feel great and the backlit feature is awesome for late night hacking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i just got it last weekend. i could've gone with the G19 or G15 but this one looked a lot more spartan. love the glass-like trim surrounding it.
    the back-light works perfect...all 4 dim settings too. most of the functions work in Ubuntu also.

F1 - opens Firefox
    F2 - opens Thunderbird
    F3 - opens Tracker Search Tool
    F4 - did nothing for me
    F5 - did nothing for me
    F6 - did nothing for me
    F7 - opens the calculator
    F8 - opened my Bluetooth-ROM drive
    F9 - did nothing for me

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Solrac924 View Post
    i just got it last weekend. i could've gone with the G19 or G15 but this one looked a lot more spartan. love the glass-like trim surrounding it.
    the back-light works perfect...all 4 dim settings too. most of the functions work in Ubuntu also.

F1 - opens Firefox
    F2 - opens Thunderbird
    F4 - did nothing for me
    F5 - did nothing for me
    F6 - did nothing for me
    F9 - did nothing for me
    Glad to hear it, I've had mine for some time now and it IS the best keyboard I have had ever...I swear my typing speed has risen - Well, I know it has at night

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Originally Posted by Solrac924 View Post

F1 - opens Firefox
    F2 - opens Thunderbird
    F4 - did nothing for me
    F5 - did nothing for me
    F6 - did nothing for me
    F9 - did nothing for me
    I can confirm this (except fn+f9 to fn+f12 controll rythymbox). so fn+f4 fn+f5 fn+f6 don't work. Anyone know how I can get these keys working? I'd like fn+f6 to open a terminal window.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast