Thread: Hide text for desktop icons

Beans

Hide text for desktop icons

I think it's really unnecessary to have text under my desktop icons. I only have a few and the icon itself just fine. Is there a way to hide the text under my icons (gnome)?
    Disclaimer: All of my advice is guaranteed without exception to work. If you find my advice unsatisfactory, you didn't do it right.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Hide text for desktop icons

#aptitude install -P gconf-editor

now go to Applications->System Tools->Configuration Editor. In the application appeared navigate through the tree to /apps/nautilus/preferences and check (or uncheck) the show desktop option. This will show (checked) or hide (unchecked) desktop icons.

Beans

Thanks. Yeah I have the config editor. I looked through it for a while. What I want is to hide the icon text, not the entire icon.
    Disclaimer: All of my advice is guaranteed without exception to work. If you find my advice unsatisfactory, you didn't do it right.

Beans

Open gconf-editor, and go to apps>nautilus>preferences and change the desktop font to 0 (eg. change it from Sans 10 to Sans 0), then there's no text visible.

Beans

Ah, nice hack

Beans

Nice hack... but it "removes" the text from all icons.
    Another trick is to make a text executable file - a script, name it with "spaces" (this trick doesn't work anymore with *.desktop files for instance) and set the nautilus preference to run them when they are opened. In the end change the icon. Thats it

Beans