Thread: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/build, is it configured?

Beans

*** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/build, is it configured?

Hello.

I'm trying to install ndiswrapper, but I keep getting this error message when I install:

root@Ahlar ~/ndiswrapper-1.53 19:31:21 $
    » make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: GÃ¥r til katalog '/root/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    Makefile:34: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/build, is it configured?. Stop.
    make[1]: Forlader katalog '/root/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make: *** [install] Fejl 2

Any hints on what to do?

Thanks
    Zelekt

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/build, is it configur

Do you have linux-headers-`uname -r` installed? It looks like it might be missing. If you haven't already, you need to also install build-essential.

Beans

Re: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/build, is it configur

It seems to be installed.

root@Ahlar ~/ndiswrapper-1.53 20:30:18 $
    » uname -r
    2.6.18-6-686

root@Ahlar ~/ndiswrapper-1.53 20:30:11 $
    » apt-get install build-essential
    Leser pakkelister ... Ferdig
    Skaper oversikt over avhengighetsforhold ... Ferdig
    build-essential er allerede nyeste versjon.

^ Translated : Build-essential is allready updated. <- Or something like that ;p

Any other hits?

Beans

Hello,

Did you get this resolved? I have similar problem.

When I try to make ndiswrapper i get

Code:
    sudo make
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/niklas/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    Makefile:34: *** Cannot find kernel version in /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-server/build, is it configured?.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/niklas/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    The headers are installed and the source to, I think. Perhaps I don't get the links correct configured? I created the link in this way:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.27 /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-server/build
    and when that is done I have the following link in /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-server/build: linux-source-2.6.27. Shouldn't it be the content for that folder that is presented there? If that was the case, then I think that kernel version should be found.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Niklas
    Last edited by Nicsoft; December 29th, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

Beans

Hello again,

This is what I did. I re-installed Ubuntu 8.10. Mainly because I wanted to start from a clean installation but also because I think I did install the acutal card after I installed Ubuntu before. Just to make sure I didn't do exactly in the same way again I installed the desktop version instead of the server version.

I used the Network Manager Applet in the top-left to configure my network and unplugged the fixed cable. Voiala, not it works.

So, I actually have no idea what all problems was, but most likely I messed up to much before and I didn't use the NM Applet before things were already destroyed.

Best Regards,
    Niklas

Beans

I am installing ndiswrapper on Qimo 2.0 for kids but there are similar problem:
    Code:
    Cannot find kernel version in lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/build, is it configured?
    Qimo 2.0 is operational system build on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS \n \l
    Code:
    uname -r
    linux nino-laptop 2.6.32-21-generic #32 Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
    Also I have read some solutions of this problem about linking folders but problem is that there is no directory:
    Code:
    lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/build
    and directory
    Code:
    /usr/src
    is empty, no linux-sources there.

Can somebody tell me what is the problem?
    Thank in advance

p.s. I am not experienced user of ubuntu