Thread: Outdated GIMP in repository?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Outdated GIMP in repository?

Greetings,
    I was wondering why in the repository the GIMP version that is provided is 2.4.6, when version 2.6 has been out for quite a while now?

I have all repositories enabled in Synaptic and the latest reported version is "2.4.6-1ubuntu1~hardy (hardy-backports)".

Does this mean all the extra stuff like the plugin packages are outdated? :s

Cheers.

Beans

Re: Outdated GIMP in repository?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu32 View Post
    Greetings,
    I was wondering why in the repository the GIMP version that is provided is 2.4.6, when version 2.6 has been out for quite a while now?

I have all repositories enabled in Synaptic and the latest reported version is "2.4.6-1ubuntu1~hardy (hardy-backports)".

Does this mean all the extra stuff like the plugin packages are outdated? :s

Cheers.
    Hi there, Hardy has Gimp 2.4, but 8.10 Intrepid has Gimp 2.6. If you don't want to upgrade to Intrepid, you should be able to download and install the new version into Hardy from the Gimp website: http://www.gimp.org

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cheers!

IMHO the guys really should update Hardy's version, but I guess with Ibex in 10 days there isn't much point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu32 View Post
    Cheers!

IMHO the guys really should update Hardy's version, but I guess with Ibex in 10 days there isn't much point.
    That is not how the Ubuntu repositories work. Everyone who uses the same release (Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, etc.) has the same versions of packages (the exception being minor upgrades to fix serious bugs or security flaws).

You can install newer package versions from source (download from the Gimp site, for example) or using backports: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can also get the gimp .debs (there are six needed if you include dependencies) which work well from getdeb. They certainly work without fault as far as I can see, having already installed them.