Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Snitch equivalent?

Beans

Little Snitch equivalent?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here knows if there's a Linux equivalent for Little Snitch on OS X. In other words, an interactive firewall that can warn you about outgoing connections and prompt you when they're initiated and give you an option to set rules for them then. Being able to handle incoming connections as well would be a nice bonus. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Little Snitch equivalent?

I'm not aware of any.

What I do use is Vidalia, which handles Tor & Privoxy very nicely with its GUI front end, I run Vidalia on everything all the time: Leopard, Arch, Sabayon, & any other distro' I'm playing with.

Vidalia is not a replacement for Little Snitch, more of a compliment really; I use both under Leopard.

Beans

I find it hard to believe that there isn't an interactive firewall for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownIT View Post
    I find it hard to believe that there isn't an interactive firewall for Ubuntu.
    I've been using Linux on the desktop for many years and I have never seen an interactive firewall on any distribution. the current firewalling code, netfilter (iptables), is not application aware, it would take significant effort to make it capable of this. I'm not saying it is impossible but it is not trivial either.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Little Snitch equivalent?

I added this as an idea to brainstorm.ubuntu.com

Please consider voting for it
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23333/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know it's not exactly what you want (not application based) but Firestarter is the GUI I use for my firewall.

It can be set up with whitelist / blacklist rules etc (only for ports/services, not applications)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    I know it's not exactly what you want (not application based) but Firestarter is the GUI I use for my firewall.

It can be set up with whitelist / blacklist rules etc (only for ports/services, not applications)
    Hey! Last version of Firestarter released "January 2005" (5 years ago), is this normal? I don't think so...

Currently I use Gufw. Maybe some day we will have application-level firewall...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't know of the features you describe as I don't really use a firewall (I am behind a router), but I know firestarter. There are other firewall programs in the repository. Just open Synaptic Package Manager and search firewall. You will see a few options.

Good luck
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

firestarter is dated. little snitch is amazing, you can see what all is using the internet currently and stop certain processes using it on the fly etc.

might as well just use an iptables gui as firestarter...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by corn13read View Post
    firestarter is dated. little snitch is amazing, you can see what all is using the internet currently and stop certain processes using it on the fly etc.

might as well just use an iptables gui as firestarter...
    Firestarter is dated, but it's the closest thing you're going to get to Little Snitch at the moment.

It may be that UFW (and it's gui) will advance and have such features in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast