Thread: Why does it take a long time to tell me my password is wrong?

Beans

Why does it take a long time to tell me my password is wrong?

I've always wondered this and i was logging in and misspelled my name and it reminded me. Whenever i misstype a password or username it takes about 5 seconds for any linux distro to tell me it was wring, yet in windows and osx it tells me instantly. Is there some method to the madness that i dont grasp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why does it take a long time to tell me my password is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmokingBandit View Post
    I've always wondered this and i was logging in and misspelled my name and it reminded me. Whenever i misstype a password or username it takes about 5 seconds for any linux distro to tell me it was wring, yet in windows and osx it tells me instantly. Is there some method to the madness that i dont grasp.
    The madness is in letting the person try another password immediately. It means they can brute-force it by guessing lots of possibilities very quickly.

The Linux way is much more secure. The guesser can't even be sure it's wrong until he waits a bit (it could just be starting the logging-in process).

Does your bank's cash dispenser allow you key in several PINs in quick succession?
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you ask me, they should delay that exponentially or +1 second for each bad try
    However, you can log in automatically or set it to '0 seconds' if you want to: System > Administration > Login Window
    Last edited by forger; October 20th, 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forger View Post
    If you ask me, they should delay that exponentially or +1 second for each bad try
    That sounds like a good idea. One typo and you only have to wait 1 second and you can log in right away. 2nd fail is 2 seconds, 3rd is 4, 8, 16, 32, 64...
    Not only is that more convenient but it would, in theory, be more secure against brute force attacks.