Thread: Update resulted in total confusion and no wireless connection or network manager icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Update resulted in total confusion and no wireless connection or network manager icon

no network mgr icon
    no wireless option
    Hi--

I installed 7.10 using a DVD that came with a book I bought (Linux Bible 2008 ed.). 7.10 worked fine, and I was pleased to see that all I had to do to get my wireless going was type in my WAN password. Cool. Unfortunately, then when I had a chance to do some updating, (this happened about 3 times--first I updated to what it said was a new upgrade, after that skipped the version upgrade, but installed recommended updates) I lost my wireless! I never did find the network manager icon anywhere in the task bar (or anywhere else), and when I did go to System to get to where you'd have a choice of selecting configs for wireless, wired or manual, there was nothing about wireless at all.

I did look at WiFiDocs WPAHowTo, and I did see something about install Network Manager by doing/using sudo apt-get install netork-manager-gnome
    but of course then I had no internet access on this computer to download that even if I could have known where it went when I downloaded it.

Of course, I feel like a total dufus posting this because of how clearly it reveals my ignorance/inexperience, but I'd love to get some advice.

Solution at the moment was to reinstall 7.10 off the DVD and not upgrade/update anything!

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Update resulted in total confusion and no wireless connection or network manager

I would suggest to get the new stable version ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron:
    - download: http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/
    - request a cd: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

or Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex (beta, but soon stable - really worth to try for hardware support):
    - download: http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/

Also, please reply with the brand and model number of your wireless network card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Update resulted in total confusion and no wireless connection or network manager

Wireless card is a Zyxel G-102 v2

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It may be the notification area which has disappeared, it happens. - right-click the task bar > add to panel > choose 'notification area'. If that's not on your task bar then your network manager applet (nm-applet) won't be there either.
    "Daddy? Do pigs lay sausages?" - Little Miss PocketDog