Thread: [SOLVED] OpenOffice 3 and files in hidden folders

Beans
    Hidden!

[SOLVED] OpenOffice 3 and files in hidden folders

Does anyone know how to open files that are located in hidden folders through OpenOffice.org "Open" dialog? It seems that there is no option to display hidden files/folders. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: OpenOffice 3 and files in hidden folders

I think you have to be showing the hidden files in order to open them with OpenOffice. I believe Ctrl+H may work...

Beans

Assuming there really isn't any way to get to see the hidden files via the open dialog, I'm sure you could drag and drop the file from nautilus. Not what you asked I know, but at least its a workaround.

Beans

In the Open dialog, right click on the files list, then choose "Show Hidden Files".

Simple as that.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, Ctrl+H doesn't work (in fact, it brings help up). And there is no "Show hidden files" when right-click on the list (only "delete" and "rename"). Even drag and drop inserts new document as a section if you have another document opened. Interesting

Beans

You need to be in the directory above where the hidden files are. Then right click on the directory that holds the files you're interested in. You should see an option to show hidden files. Once you've clicked it, go into the directory and you should now see your files.

This assumes you're using the gnome dialogues not the openoffice ones. It's also based on OOo 2.4, I suppose they might have changed something in 3.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know of that when using Gnome dialogues, but OpenOffice.org ones is making all the trouble. In 2.4 all worked right.

Beans

Ah. Sorry. I'm not aware of a way to access hidden files through the OpenOffice dialogues. You do know that you can change to use the gnome dialogues from OpenOffice, I take it? (Tools -> Options -> general in 2.4)

Beans
    Hidden!

I've completely forgotten about that

Thanks for the tip.