Thread: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu

Beans

No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu

Hi all. i have a problem.

When i install ubuntu, i press Manual and i get this :

/dev/sda1 NTFS
    /dev/sda2 NTFS
    /dev/sda3 NTFS

The ones above, is the computers hardrive. which i dont want.

/dev/sdb1 NTFS
    /dev/sdb5 swap
    /dev/sdb3 NTFS

here is 1 external hard drive with 2 partitions. The /dev/sdb1 is the main HDD of all, and then i have no clue whats swap, but i know that, i did the /dev/sdb3 partition. Its there i wanna install my ubuntu.

So i press it and i press forward, i get this : No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.

What to do? Remmeber im new to this, i heard bout commmand lines, i got no idea what they are. So be specific, thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu

As a part if installing you need to specify a partition for root or /

NTFS can not be used as the file system for root. So select the appropriate partition.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Re: No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    As a part if installing you need to specify a partition for root or /

NTFS can not be used as the file system for root. So select the appropriate partition.

What do u mean by the / ? I want a type of HDD were both windows and linux can read it..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

/ = the "root partition"

/ is where Ubuntu is installed, it is the Linux equivalent of C:\

HowTo: Partitioning Basics - Ubuntu Forums

community/Installation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface