First of all, let me say that I have barely any clue of what I've been trying to do to get this to work.

I got this Dell inspiron 8200 from a relative who had no use for it anymore. I'm pretty sure that it got an ATI card... would say it's a Radeon mobility of some sort. Radeon 9000 I'm guessing, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I atleast installed some ATI driver when I ran windows. It has a TV-out and an old time display out, those who are usually blue? not the fancy thin and white ones

I installed Xubuntu, since the machine only has 512 ram, so the less demanding part of it sounded nice.

Is there any way to do a hardware check to make sure of what card I've got? =P

Anyway, what I'd like to do is to get output on my big screen that I've plugged in. It's annoyingly black right now. I've been trying this HowTo for a while and can't get it to work how ever I twist and turn!

I think I accidentally made some nvidia-xconfig command when I was jerking around with it, as I at that point was really confused as if it had a GeForce or Radeon card in it! It says nvidia in some places in the /etc/X11/corg.conf file now... it was pretty sparse when it came from the clean installation. Is there a similar command for the ATI cards that needs to be made?

Damn dell and their messed up service tags and confusion about hardware...

I'd also like to get some signals through the S-video output for my TV somehow. I don't need them to be separate, they can all be clones for all I care. I just like to watch my movies on the old tellie rather than on this tiny laptop screen =D

A neat feature with the K-lite old windows mediaplayer pack is that when you play a video file it automatically goes fullscreen on the television! I'm guessing that's probably alot of hacking for linux though.

I've been trying to get a working combination in the displayconfig-gtk program, but without success, ofcourse.

Thanks in advance!