Thread: robust image duplicate finder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

robust image duplicate finder?

Hey, I'm looking for a program that can compare all images within a folder and find the duplicates, then automatically delete them based on some rules (image size, dimensions, format, etc...). I found a good program that can do this on Windows (http://www.keronsoft.com/dupdetector.html) but installing under Wine fails. Is there something similar for Ubuntu?
    I've tried the kipi plugin for 'find duplicate images' but I don't want to click through every duplicate and confirm the deletion (there are many images).

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: robust image duplicate finder?

Yes, DupDetector for Windows is very good.
    For Ubuntu/Linux, on the Find Duplicate Images thread you can find some suggestions based on fdupes (there's also the GUI version, FSlint, as suggested in Multiple Image Files: I tried it and it's much better than KleanSweeper (which requires KDE and won't let you automatically select for deletion "all files but the newest one" etc. in a group of duplicate). But they all find only identical images.
    On Good duplicate file scanner imgSeek was suggested for images, but even if I select the highest similarity grade I find only false duplicate images.

So, I suggest you GQview, which lets you search duplicates for normal/high/low similarity, is very fast, shows thumbnails and reports almost no false duplicates even in "normal similarity" mode: very efficient (and it's in the repositories).

I've read also that VisiPics is a good tool: it's for Windows but works under Wine.
    Last edited by Nemo_bis; January 2nd, 2010 at 01:02 AM.