Thread: What type of server or something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What type of server or something else?

Ok, I want to have some files where I can access them from any computer on my network. I don't want them accessible from the internet, yet(that's once I get a dedicated server up[which I have, but can't get into{long story}]). But I'd like it to be password protected because I have a wireless AP and if someone does break into the wireless I don't want them to be able to automatically access my files. I'd also like if if I could upload files from any computer. I'm not sure if I want something like a remote drive, a ftp server or some other type of server.

Just for clarification, I'm not asking for help, but for suggestions about what solution would be best for my needs. If you have a good how-to link or something I wouldn't mind it but now I'm just looking for what would be best.

Thanks guys.

Edit: there's both linux and ******* computers in the network.
    Last edited by fissionmailed; October 18th, 2008 at 04:38 AM.
    If I don't reply to something, just PM me and let me know, college can be trying at times.
    Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars

Beans

Re: What type of server or something else?

since its on a LAN, samba is an optin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: What type of server or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by superprash2003 View Post
    since its on a LAN, samba is an optin
    I thought about that. That way I could connect and edit, add etc files without having to do a lot of work. Thanks for your input.
    If I don't reply to something, just PM me and let me know, college can be trying at times.
    Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stars