Thread: Is there anything I need to do for a new (larger) battery??

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Is there anything I need to do for a new (larger) battery??

"Goodbye 10 minute battery life!! So long charger cord! (For a couple of hours) Hello roaming freedom!! I'm a slave to AC no more!!"

My <10 minute battery has been replaced with a new LARGER capacity battery. It's twice the capacity of my old one. I just want to know if there's anything I need to do to compensate for the new battery, or anything I have to change in Ubuntu. Also, as far as a new Li-Ion battery goes, are there any preparations I need to do with the battery to make sure it has a long and healthy life? I left it on the charger for ~6hrs today (even though the charging light turned off after 2 hrs).

What else can I do with my laptop to get even more life from the battery? I have seen a couple guides on how to get life out of a battery, but are those older ones still appropriate to use with 8.10? Or are there other things I can do to maximize my power?

Thank you all in advance! Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated

Woody

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is there anything I need to do for a new (larger) battery??

I haven't replaced a battery while using 8.04, but in older distros, sometimes it was necessary to run on the battery till the laptop shut down to get the power meter applet & estimated battery time calibrated properly. Otherwise no special prep that I know of.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks So far my computer's been on battery for 6 hrs, and the battery icon says I have 1hr 15 mins remaining I'm really liking this new battery!
    Last edited by swoody; October 17th, 2008 at 07:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Here is some reading I found very helpful, Swoody:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm