Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

Beans

Cool prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

I am seriously considering a switch from Apple to an open-source ubuntu pre-installed machine and I'm impressed with everything I've read and heard about System 76. As an avid gamer I'm having a hard time choosing between the Pangolin and the Serval models. I'm a Linux (computers in general really) NOOB but was hoping that the answers to a few questions could help me make my decision.

1) The only differences that I can see between the two models are the display resolution, RAM (DDR2 vs. DDR3), and the video card - but that doesn't seem to explain the $1000 price difference. Am I missing something?

2) Will the nVidia 9800M GTS work in the Pangolin model even though it uses DDR2 RAM? If so, is it possible to get the Pangolin with this video card instead of the 9300 (I've heard the 9800 is much better than the 9300M GS) If not, would I be able to install the 9800 or a better card myself?

3) Finally, if you can even answer this I would love to know if System 76 will be announcing any changes to its laptop line in the near future? (I'm looking to buy early December/January)

Basically I just want to make sure that I'm able to play Diablo III and Starcraft when they're released. Any help would be much appreciated. Keep up the good work!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

1) The only differences that I can see between the two models are the display resolution, RAM (DDR2 vs. DDR3), and the video card - but that doesn't seem to explain the $1000 price difference. Am I missing something?
    Technically the Pangolin possesses mainstream components such as resolutions up to 1680 x 1050 on a glossy LCD, 800 MHz DDR2 memory, 512 MB nVidia 9300 graphics, and some great CPU options.

The Serval bumps up the performance significantly. Resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 with Glossy or Matte LCD finish options, 1066 MHz DDR3 memory, 512 MB nVidia 9800 graphics, Intel's CPU's and the option (although pricey) for Intel very high performance 80 GB SSD drive. Benchmarks show Intel's SSD drive outperforming Western Digital's 10,000 RPM Raptor desktop hard drive.

2) Will the nVidia 9800M GTS work in the Pangolin model even though it uses DDR2 RAM? If so, is it possible to get the Pangolin with this video card instead of the 9300 (I've heard the 9800 is much better than the 9300M GS) If not, would I be able to install the 9800 or a better card myself?
    We only offer the options on our website configurator. I do not know if the 9800 would work in the Pangolin, but I doubt it.

3) Finally, if you can even answer this I would love to know if System 76 will be announcing any changes to its laptop line in the near future? (I'm looking to buy early December/January)
    Not that I'm aware of. This line-up is brand new.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

If you line up the specs properly its 700 dollars for the video card and dd3 ram.... I assume that the mobo is different?

edit... i guess the battery as well

Beans

I gotta say if you're an avid gamer, the Serval's DDR3 on both the video & system RAM is gonna be what you want.

I don't know enough about gaming to know if this system will play which games, but I know it'll play more & better than the Pangolin.

Beans

Forgot to mention that the Serval is a real bad*** looking machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I assume that the mobo is different?
    Yes it is.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Thanks for the feedback. Serval it is.

On a related note, does anyone know of any good blood/sperm banks in the greater NY metropolitan area?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

On a related note, does anyone know of any good blood/sperm banks in the greater NY metropolitan area?
    C'mon, man! You're killing me!

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

One more quick question. The laptop bags are $29 purchased separately but $65 if you add then onto the laptop. Is this an error or a different bag?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ummm. I'm guessing major league blooper.
    Reporting it to the webmaster. Thanks for the sharp eye.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast