Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

Beans

Re: prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

Another blooper is in the comparing laptops page it says the pangolin has 512mb for the video card where as in the purchasing side it says 256mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look...

...changes made.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Question Re: prospective customer ques.: Pangolin vs Serval

Another potential blooper, I'm afraid.

Is that 500GB drive *really* 7200RPM on the Serval? The similar option for the Bonobo is 5400RPM, which seems to make more sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This may be commonsense, but since you said you are new to Linux...

...games are not heavily supported. *Especially* Blizzard games. Blizzard, as a general rule, does not release linux clients of its games, although it usually does release Apple versions.

World of Warcraft (for me) ran just as well under wine in Ubuntu as it did natively in Linux, but this is not true of all games.

I'm not saying don't get a Serval - I bought one and it outperforms every desktop I've ever built for gaming. I *am* saying you should be prepared to dual-boot Windows if you are an avid gamer, particularly if you like to play later games.

Again, it's not that you can't always make them work under Linux, it's just that sometimes, it's not worth the effort. You can setup a dual-boot system on the Serval very easily, and the hardware itself is outstanding for any OS. I wasn't able to play Oblivion until I bought the Serval, but I can't play it in Linux.

Also, the higher screen resolution of the Serval is worth it. The 1680x1050 resolution in the 15" serval screen is the biggest reason I bought from System76; their customer support being the second. It's rare to find that resolution in a screen that size, and the clarity of the display is phenomenal. Higher resolution == prettier games

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12