Thread: Failure to load GNOME

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Failure to load GNOME

I had a strange error come up today while trying to boot Ubuntu. Before my desktop comes up, an error message informs me:

GNOME session manager unable to lock the file '/home/<username>/.ICEauthority'. Please report this as a GNOME bug. Sometimes, this error may occur if the file's directory is unwritable, you could try logging in via the failsafe session and ensuring that it is.
    However, when I attempt to load the Failsafe GNOME session, I get the exact same error message.

I ran the recovery program through Grub and found no broken packages.

This is probably a simple fix, but I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me?

UPDATE (1 hour later): And now, after shutting down an hour ago, getting dinner, and booting up at home, it loaded right up. Very strange. Any ideas as to what happened?
    Last edited by Jackelope King; October 16th, 2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Re: Failure to load GNOME

I have just run into this exact same issue...INCLUDING leaving it alone and coming back later and it booting up just fine.

Anyone???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Did you recently do anything with partitions or modify /home or anything else...

Beans

didn't change anything with partitions. All I did was install then uninstall then reinstall some items for Syncing my phone (WM 6.1).

Seems strange that it would fix its self while the computer was off though....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

spooky lol