Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Xfce is simply awesome

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Xfce is simply awesome

Ok, what I found is that usually it is quite fast enough.

Until you open a large directory (lots of files), or one with lots of graphics images, then it gets slow.

I don't think it's as light as some people claim, it does use less memory than Gnome but it still has quite a few Gnome dependencies.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by techmarks View Post
    but it still has quite a few Gnome dependencies.
    No it doesn't. Xubuntu does, but Xubuntu != default Xfce.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by daverich View Post
    and rectangle select on the desktop.

it really really really really bugs me that they haven't added that.

Kind regards

DAve Rich
    If it did all these things it would be gnome and it would be slower...if you want a really fast operating system, load up dos 2.0 - blinding! Wonder if CPM for i386 is available.
    I just want linux/BSD opensource (in any flavour/gui) - easy enough to switch from one to another....trying out opensuse tonight. Love the Freedom. So far ubuntu (with gnome) seems to be the best for my needs.
    The future is opensource.
    Opensource is recession proof!

Beans

I've only recently been using xfce, on Arch, where I had been enjoying using Openbox for months. I like xfce more than Openbox, as it is also fast, very easy to install, setup (though I enjoyed setting up Openbox) & use, I really like the rmb menu, of both Openbox & xfce. I'm using some light app's from my Openbox install as well as some from the xfce & the goodies installs. Thunar is fine by me, Mirage is my prefered image viewer, Nero, VLC, DVDshrink, Firefox, Mousepad, Vidalia, ePDFViewer, GParted, Zenmap, Xarchiver, Agave & Gcolor2 are just about it for me. I run a fairly light install, & xfce fairly flies on my 24" iMac.

I'm still refining my setup, as I find things that I'd like to or that need to be sorted out.

Xfce is a very comfortable place for me to be.
    Last edited by handy; October 18th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ItsManaged View Post
    If it did all these things it would be gnome and it would be slower...if you want a really fast operating system, load up dos 2.0 - blinding! Wonder if CPM for i386 is available.
    I just want linux/BSD opensource (in any flavour/gui) - easy enough to switch from one to another....trying out opensuse tonight. Love the Freedom. So far ubuntu (with gnome) seems to be the best for my needs.
    would it slow it down that much? to have a draggable selection,- and an easy may to make launchers?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daverich View Post
    would it slow it down that much? to have a draggable selection,- and an easy may to make launchers?

Kind regards

Dave Rich
    You might want to try the beta.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345