Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cedega is stoopid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Cedega is stoopid

Well I have Cedega 5 installed and successfully working, but none of the games I install work. All of the games I am trying to install are listed as compatible, but they just_don't_work. I did get Colin Mcrae Rally 2 to work, well too, but nothing else since. I am really stumped too. Has anyone else overcome this? Help please. Considering Windows again, just for the games...

Beans

Re: Cedega is stoopid

Hey, a couple of questions for you. Do you the games give you any errors, whenever you try to launch them? Are these store-bought games or games with hacked .exe files, or no-cd patches? If its the latter, they won't work. I have had a lot of successes installed games with Cedega, and a few failures. Try playing around with the settings, and see if that doesn't help. Have you looked at any of the linux games available? I don't do a lot of gaming, but my kids do, and they are happier with the linux games.

Beans

Cedega is not worth the money.

Without going into great detail, I subscribed when they announced official support for Steam games. I think it is pretty absurd to pay $60/year for a product that only works reasonably well. Needless to say, I cancelled my subscription.

I was going to resubscribe when Cedega 5 came out because I thought they would have made great advances in their software to support games more fully. Browsing the Transgaming forums I only found more and more people dissatisfied with their "new and improved" product.

I have just installed Wine 9.1 and got Steam games running more quickly and more easily than with Cedega. Any problems I might have with Wine 9.1 is acceptable because the software is free, not $60/year. I consider Transgaming to be a company that produces a low quality product which does not work as advertised.

I normally don't ever post criticisms but I want to spare people money that otherwise would be wasted on a product that does not perform up to expectations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I would agree, no WAY would it be worth paying for this crap again.

The games I use are all fully Legit CD bought ones or self contained Setup EXE files. The games leave no error at all, they simply do not start. When I install Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, when you start it, the splash is displayed, then the CD reads for a bit and then it just crashes. This is no good... Also NFSIII just goes to a black full screen and there is no way to kill it, not even from command line. So today I have managed to install Doom 3 demo to see how it goes and it works successfuly but I don'thave keyboard. Thats like most other games, installed as well. I am a but annoyed that you have to pay for a failure...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hmm.. I just installed Cedega 5.01 and it runs City of Villains great. A minor issue with some flickering when in missions, but other than that, I can't see much difference between running it in Cedega or running it in Windows. The support for games is definitely increasing since the last time I tried it about a year ago.

Personally, I think that $5 a month to be able to play games in Linux is a paltry sum to pay. The OS is free and totally legal. Windows is either hundreds of dollars to buy, or it's an illegal copy. The cost of a coffee at Starbucks is really not an issue for me when it means that I'm that much closer to having a Windows-free machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Unhappy Re: Cedega is stoopid

A fully legal Windows CD came with my PC, whic was had in 2002 for AUD $900. But, it's not fair. It should work. I have done nothing to screw it up, so it should work!!! I can play Doom 3 fine, but others, even though supported, just don't work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ubuntufella, if you own Doom3, you can get the Linux native program from ID. I'm running Doom3, Quake 4, and Neverwinter Nights native on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by skirkpatrick
    ubuntufella, if you own Doom3, you can get the Linux native program from ID. I'm running Doom3, Quake 4, and Neverwinter Nights native on Ubuntu.
    I know, but the Windows version works just the same.

So far it has just been chitter chatter about whether or not is hould do it, so I'll take it that nobody knows how to fix the problem. Thanks for those who have offered advice.

Beans

Ive never had any trouble with games listed as compatable with cedega.

THe few games i have had trouble with, no-cd patches cleared the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by madjinx
    Ive never had any trouble with games listed as compatable with cedega.

THe few games i have had trouble with, no-cd patches cleared the issue.
    Same here, never had any troubles with games via Cedega. Though some needs a little tweak or a diffrent option setup. Or downloading another version of Cedega through Point2Play can also do the trick.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast