Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrade broke wireless driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

upgrade broke wireless driver

i'm running 8.1, and i went ahead and did a 'sudo apt-get upgrade' after a fresh installation of ubuntu. after the restart i cannot use the wireless anymore, not sure if there is a command i need to use to activate the driver. under the network icon in the panel, it does not show any wireless networks.

when i do an 'lshw -C network' i find that the network device that used to be my wireless connection is listed as disabled.

if you need me to post more info, let me know and i will boot up into ubuntu to get it and post back here.

anyone else have this problem as well ?
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: upgrade broke wireless driver

I also get this...

*-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
    logical name: wmaster0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:1f:3c:a3:a1:cb
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 latency=0 module=iwl3945 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg

Kind of annoying, really. Anyone knows how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have exactly the same problem. Yesterday I dropped Windows and installed Ubuntu 8. WLAN worked fine at first shot, but after the upgrade and a reboot no more WLAN.... I wonder how to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    i'm running 8.1, and i went ahead and did a 'sudo apt-get upgrade' after a fresh installation of ubuntu. after the restart i cannot use the wireless anymore, not sure if there is a command i need to use to activate the driver. under the network icon in the panel, it does not show any wireless networks.

when i do an 'lshw -C network' i find that the network device that used to be my wireless connection is listed as disabled.

if you need me to post more info, let me know and i will boot up into ubuntu to get it and post back here.

When you say Ubuntu 8.1, do you mean Ubuntu 8.10? If so, then you're using incomplete software that is likely to break.

Can you confirm which version of Ubuntu you're using?
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Automatic wireless connectivity has been 'broken' in the latest update.
    My suggestion - use a wired connection until the next upgrade offering and see then if it's corrected.
    Welcome to the world of BETA software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not sure if this is any help at all..having said that...I've been running intrepid for a few weeks now. With every kernel update I have to remake the driver, since the driver for my usb antenna (rt2870) isn't native.

Each update I do these steps in the driver folder:
    1) sudo make clean
    2) sudo make
    3) sudo make install
    4) sudo modprobe <drivername>
    I give it a few minutes and it asks me for my keyring pw and I'm back online.

I wasn't sure from your post if your driver is native or not. I would think if it's a native drive these steps aren't necessary.

Also, if you're running intrepid (8.10), you should post in the intrepid forum.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jahLux View Post
    My suggestion - use a wired connection until the next upgrade offering and see then if it's corrected.
    Welcome to the world of BETA software.
    this is what i figured. but i think i will wait around until 8.10 becomes an official release before i choose to reinstall it. until then, ubuntu has been banished from my system....

i know that installing and administering linux systems on a desktop require both an interest and desire to work in a different manner than windows or os x, which is entertaining to some extent....until i get lost in the nonsense that different commands have different formats and different switches. you cannot apply a logic or commonality between 2 different command line commands (as you can in MS-Dos).

let's see what happens @ the end of the month....
    HP Envy 17
    windows 7

I just updated my kernel from 2.6.24-19 to 2.6.24-21 and my wireless broke. So I went into synaptic and removed instances of 2.6.24-21-generic, rebooted and went into the old kernel. I had wireless again.

I went into synaptic and downloaded the "restricted modules" for 2.6.24-21 and then also re-installed the removed instances. I rebooted and my wireless is working with my update.

Quote Originally Posted by jahLux View Post
    That's news to me. One of my system's wireless worked out of the box with the beta while it needed ndiswrapper and the windows driver to work in the past.
    Last edited by coolbrook; October 16th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    When you say Ubuntu 8.1, do you mean Ubuntu 8.10? If so, then you're using incomplete software that is likely to break.

Can you confirm which version of Ubuntu you're using?
    the beta i downloaded last week and created an image with it.
    to varying degrees, i've seen both stability and kernel panic, before and after updates and upgrades.

i've also experienced loud beeping and weird screens during some boot ups, i've also seen screen color flashed on shut down. not sure what all that's about....

i do respect that linux is a machine language that can be tailored to anything, but it's still got quite a bit of catching up to do before it can be reliably installed onto most desktops by novices.

perhaps there is a power-user manual or doc online that will take me thru the steps i can use to manually and individually install the contents of the OS ? this might help me understand it better...
    Last edited by zero7404; October 16th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    HP Envy 17
    windows 7

the beta i downloaded last week and created an image with it.
    to varying degrees, i've seen both stability and kernel panic, before and after updates and upgrades.

i've also experienced loud beeping and weird screens during some boot ups, i've also seen screen color flashed on shut down. not sure what all that's about....

i do respect that linux is a machine language that can be tailored to anything, but it's still got quite a bit of catching up to do before it can be reliably installed onto most desktops by novices.

perhaps there is a power-user manual or doc online that will take me thru the steps i can use to manually and individually install the contents of the OS ? this might help me understand it better...
    You might start with a stable and complete version before you pronounce it uninstallable by newcomers. My mother installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a laptop by herself, and she is by no stretch of the imagination a computer genius. But then again, she didn't grab an incomplete version and suddenly decide Ubuntu has some "catching up to do."

Try again with a complete release, or wait a week for 8.10 to be finalized. In the mean time, expect incomplete software to have incomplete results. But please don't tell us it's unusable, because you're judging it before it's ready.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast