Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy fan on D945GCLF2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Noisy fan on D945GCLF2

Hi

Just bought a D945GCLF2 with the new ATOM CPU. I gonna use it as a media portal with XBMC. I have most of it running by now an I gotta say that this is a nice mobo - especially compared to the cost.

My only problem is that I think that the fan on top on the graphics chip is very noisy. In the bios there is an option about controlling the speed. so I tried enabling this and setting up lm-sensors and fancontrol - but nothing happens. It's like the speed can not be controlled.

Has anybody tried and succeeded in noising down the fan on this board ?
    Any ideas ?

I read that some guy simply replaced the fan with a scythe fan and that had solved it - would that be enough ?

I would like to be able to control the fan - I do that on an other (AMD) computer that I have - that really nice...

Beans

Re: Noisy fan on D945GCLF2

I replaced the fan on my D945GCLF2 with a scythe fan from newegg and the loudest thing in my server setup now are the hard drives - make sure you get a scythe fan with the right height though, mine is way too tall, so it's mounted on top of the actual heatsink, instead of right inbetween the top and bottom - i think i read somewhere that you want the 10mm tall ones (so i think that's 40x10mm)

quick question - what version of ubuntu are you running? my 8.04.1 64bit seems to act up quite a bit, esp. with regards to the network card - the output of ifconfig always shows tons of dropped packets

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Ill try the scythe fan. I've never gotten around to the 64 bit stuff on any of my computers. I'm running the newest ubuntu 32 bit om my board and it is doing just fine - for me...anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yeah, that fan is loud, I stuck my wife's D945GCLF into a cigar box that has a hole right over the fan.
    I understand that the fan is on top of the GPU and not the CPU.
    Her's works fine with 32 bit, haven't tried with 64.
    Any idea if the s-video is working with Ubuntu on the D945GCLF2?
    I've been trying to find out for weeks.

Beans

Could someone please install lm-sensors and run sensor-detect and see if this board has any supported sensors?

Thanks,
    Sam
    MS gonna get ya

Beans
    Distro

Hi easym,

i have lm-sensors installed and I get all the read otus on temps and rpms...I do have problems controlling the speed of the gpu fan - it just does not regulate...
    I can post at dump of the sensors command later - I'm not at that computer now.

Did anybody succeed in controlling the gpu fan ??

Beans

I've removed the gpu fan about 7 days ago and no problems so far, the gpu temp remains below 60C at around 56C.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hinge View Post
    Hi easym,

i have lm-sensors installed and I get all the read otus on temps and rpms...I do have problems controlling the speed of the gpu fan - it just does not regulate...
    I can post at dump of the sensors command later - I'm not at that computer now.

Did anybody succeed in controlling the gpu fan ??
    ah that is great. I was thinking about using this board to replace the guts in my web server mainly to reduce power requirements. But as I read it seems people are reporting power usage of 30-50 watts depending on the set up. Seems pretty high for a cpu that only draws 2 watts idle. For reference my pentium 3 is rated at a 20 watt idle draw and the whole box is 45 watts idle.
    MS gonna get ya

Beans

I've also removed the gpu fan. With a big (and slow ~1000 rpm) case fan near the gpu and cpu the temperature is around 38°C in idle mode and 57°C under full load.

*dankuoni

Beans
    Distro

I just replaced the gpu fan with a mini kaze from scythe - zero noise !!!
    Sweet

Now I just need to replace the chassis fan. Anybody have a recommendation for a 6 x 6 x 1 SILENT fan ?
    Can't find one from scythe that match the dimension

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast