Thread: [SOLVED] Intrepid upgrade download size

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question [SOLVED] Intrepid upgrade download size

Can anyone estimate the download size for upgrading to intrepid (from a fully up to date hardy?)

Estimated doesn't need to be perfect, maybe to the nearest 20%?

When doing a distribution release upgrade does update-manager tell you how big the download will be before it starts?

I'm on a fairly slow internet connection (256kbps) and need to decide whether I will use the network upgrade (update-manager) or download an alternate CD image from another location and use that to upgrade.

I have read a bit about various other solutions for this problem, but they all seem fairly complicated.

Apologies if this is documented somewhere, I did look around but was unable to find anything

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Intrepid upgrade download size

Update manager should show file sizes and estimated time left once begun
    64-Bit User-Group // Twin-View AMD64 X2 6000+|Geforce 9500GT 1024 MB|8GB PC2-6400 DDR2|500GB Seagate SATA // AMD64 X2 4400+|Geforce 8600GTS |4GB PC2-6400 DDR2|360GB Samsung SATA // Ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 64-Bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I never see a great difference in the download size between the upgrade and full download, so always go for the full .iso and burn to a cd.

I know there is a wait for delivery, but you could always request a disk from shipit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Justcameron View Post
    Can anyone estimate the download size for upgrading to intrepid (from a fully up to date hardy?)

Estimated doesn't need to be perfect, maybe to the nearest 20%?

When doing a distribution release upgrade does update-manager tell you how big the download will be before it starts?

I'm on a fairly slow internet connection (256kbps) and need to decide whether I will use the network upgrade (update-manager) or download an alternate CD image from another location and use that to upgrade.

I have read a bit about various other solutions for this problem, but they all seem fairly complicated.

Apologies if this is documented somewhere, I did look around but was unable to find anything

Thanks
    Couple of hundred Megabytes, 400 at an inital guess for the 'core' bits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: [SOLVED] Intrepid upgrade download size

So that narrows it down to somewhere between 200 and 800 MB - very specific

Ah well, I think I might download the alternate CD elsewhere anyway.

Cheers for the help.