Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Beans

Re: cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Quote Originally Posted by tiresia View Post
    Have you removed those cards and reset PRAM / NVRAM [Command-Option-P-R keys]?
    Yep, I did that to no avail. It's kind of frustrating, but I am sure that there is a way to get Linux on this box. When I got done resetting with the cmd-opt-p-r I held the C key down, and could see that cdrom light flashing, but it still wouldn't boot. Once I let teh C key go, it booted right into OSX. I even reset the pram, and then held the option key so that I could choose the disk I wanted to boot from, but all it did was return to the option menu in a crappy low res image. Had to reboot back into OSX so the system wouldn't get all crappy on me.
    I am still open to suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Den

Beans

Angry Re: cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Another thing to add to this issue is, when hold down the O+F+CMD+OPT keys, and get into the firmware, I cannot list the directory of the cd. when I type dir cd:,\, or dir cd:\ I get the journal directory. This is telling me that the Mac's BIOS or what ever it's called in MAC land is not able to read the cdrom. I even took the SONY dvd burner out, and installed the original superdrive, just in case that was the problem.
    Are we scratching our heads yet? I sure know that I am. LOL

Beans
    Hidden!

Make sure you're using Toast to burn an image based on the ISO disk image, not a disk of the ISO image.

FWIW, I ordinarily use Disk Utility to burn ISOs, not Toast. I've never had the least little trouble with it.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by spkrck View Post
    I even reset the pram, and then held the option key so that I could choose the disk I wanted to boot from, but all it did was return to the option menu in a crappy low res image.
    If you see an icon with Linux, when you hold the option key, it means that Open Firmware detected the CD and tries to start from it. But most probably the CD was not correctly burned. How did you burn it? As you were suggested, burn it at very slow speed (with Apple Disk Utility)

As last resource, you can start and install also from a USB stick. Here you find more information
    https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...c/ch05s01.html
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Red face Re: cannot boot to CD on my Mac

Quote Originally Posted by tiresia View Post
    If you see an icon with Linux, when you hold the option key, it means that Open Firmware detected the CD and tries to start from it. But most probably the CD was not correctly burned. How did you burn it? As you were suggested, burn it at very slow speed (with Apple Disk Utility)

As last resource, you can start and install also from a USB stick. Here you find more information
    https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...c/ch05s01.html
    Well, I had burned it at 1x with toast before. This time I tried it with the disk utility, at 4 x. The only difference is that when I held the C key down I did get the file folder image for a sec, and then it went right back to the OSX normal boot. I will read the url that you sent and see what that has to say.
    Thanks,
    Den

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Since you added a new drive to your computer, you could check your CDs with another PPC Mac.
    Which of both is your Mac? Quick silver or Mirrored Drive Doors
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ghz_dp_qs.html
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl....0_dp_mdd.html
    Support the new Drive CD-R and CD+R?
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans

Talking Re: cannot boot to CD on my Mac

For those of you who have been helping me struggle through this, I say THANK YOU! I have now been working in the open firmware. I can get Ubuntu to yaboot, but it still wont install. However, I was able to get the Debian Etch Disk to run the install. I got as far as setting up the partition when I decided to back out, and free up a whole HD, just so I don't loose anything.
    The big thing in the open firmware was that I couldn't get it to read the cd. Well, just for the heck of it I started to run the dir command on all the ide drives, and there it was, the cd was being accessed as ide1. Once I discovered this it didn't take long to get things going. I will keep this thread up to date until I am successful.
    Thanks again!
    Den

Beans

Talking Re: [SOLVED!] cannot boot to CD on my Mac

As my earlier post said, I was able to find the CD contents in the Open Firmware. I was finally able to boot from the newest Ubuntu release. However, instead of running install, I ran Live. I was then able to run the install from the live session. I am typing this from my new Ubuntu install while I am doing my updates!
    Thanks to all who helped!
    Den

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12