Thread: [SOLVED] How do I get and install Beryl

Beans

[SOLVED] How do I get and install Beryl

Hello,

I am installing Ubuntu for the first time because i saw Beryl and I really think it looks great.

I visited the Beryl website but I am not sure what I am supposed to download and how I would integrate Beryl into Ubuntu. Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.

p.s. I have a Dell XPS M1210 with the T7600 2.33GHz and 3.25GB of RAM available. I have 4GB of RAM installed in total. My video card is the Nvidia GeForce go 7400. Will I be able to use those cool Beryl effects with my current setup? Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How do I get and install Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by GumpTron View Post
    Hello,

I am installing Ubuntu for the first time because i saw Beryl and I really think it looks great.

I visited the Beryl website but I am not sure what I am supposed to download and how I would integrate Beryl into Ubuntu. Can anyone offer some help? Thank you.

p.s. I have a Dell XPS M1210 with the T7600 2.33GHz and 3.25GB of RAM available. I have 4GB of RAM installed in total. My video card is the Nvidia GeForce go 7400. Will I be able to use those cool Beryl effects with my current setup? Thank you again.
    Hi and beryl is no longer, you can look at the FAQ's link in my signature for compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beryl is now Compiz, and if you have a recent version of Ubuntu, from Gutsy on, if I remember rightly, Compiz should already be installed.

Check out System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and you can configure it there.

You may want also to install the Compiz configurations settings manager, to give you more control over the effects.

Compiz, and all its accessories, is available using Synaptic Package Manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The command line way to get the compiz settings manager is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ccsm
    You can also get more plugins for compiz if you like, and configure them using ccsm. Search the forums for info.

Also, I thought Beryl was the old version of Compiz-Fusion's window decorator (does window themes). As far as I know, it's now called Emerald, and is available in synaptic or using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install emerald
    Search the forum for help on setting it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use K-ubuntu 8.04, & I've enabled/installed compiz desktop effects but dont know where to costomise it...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by REDace0 View Post
    Also, I thought Beryl was the old version of Compiz-Fusion's window decorator (does window themes). As far as I know, it's now called Emerald, and is available in synaptic or using

Beryl was basically extra plugins for Compiz. Compiz Fusion is a merge of the plugins side of Compiz and the beryl team.
    Emerald is the window decorator for Beryl (and now for Compiz Fusion too).

I.E.: Beryl is to Compiz as Emerald is to Metacity.

(I'm sure I'm right, but feel free to correct me...)
    lolwut

Beans

I activated the "extra" visual effects and now I have that cool wobbly effect with my windows. However, i recall wanting an effect that gives you something like a 3day rotation of 4 desktops. Can anyone help me with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by GumpTron View Post
    I activated the "extra" visual effects and now I have that cool wobbly effect with my windows. However, i recall wanting an effect that gives you something like a 3day rotation of 4 desktops. Can anyone help me with this?
    Once you install compizconfig-settings-manager then you will be able to enable the Desktop Cube effect. Make sure you have 4 workspaces, otherwise you will end up with what looks like a piece of cardboard (or a triangular prism, or a pentagonal prism, etc)
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

You need to have "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" aka "Compiz Config Settings Manager" installed.

terminal:
    `sudo aptitude install compizconfig-settings-manager`

or search for `compizconfig-settings-manager` in synaptic package manager.

You then should be able to check/uncheck options from the "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" in System>Preferences.

I can't quite remember it all though...
    lolwut