Thread: Gnome broken after upgrade to intrepid beta

Beans

Unhappy Gnome broken after upgrade to intrepid beta

I upgraded both my systems to the Intrepid beta (I know it's a beta and there's still bugs) but it totally killed gnome one one of them. On login, if logging into gnome, the system goes to either the brown or a black screen and just hangs and seems to lock up. This only happens with gnome though, logging into a different interface such as fluxbox works just fine.

I've tried deleting all my gnome config files, but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gnome broken after upgrade to intrepid beta

Moved to Intrepid Ibex Testing and Discussion

Beans

I had this issue today. Cleared up when I clicked "Session" in the login screen and chose "Gnome"

When asked whether to make this the new default. I answered yes. All solved now.
    Using pet names like "Windoze" and "M$" is cute, but it actively harms the interests of Linux and Linux users like you and me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unhappy Re: Gnome broken after upgrade to intrepid beta

Quote Originally Posted by tkiesel View Post
    I had this issue today. Cleared up when I clicked "Session" in the login screen and chose "Gnome"

When asked whether to make this the new default. I answered yes. All solved now.
    If that doesn't work, try
    booting in recovery mode
    select command prompt
    sudo apt-get remove compiz
    sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

which fixed Beta on my IBM Thinkpad R31. Launchpad bug 277344.

Jerry

Beans

Yes, thanks, that worked! Hopefully they'll iron out the problems with compiz so i can reinstall it, i miss my wobbly windows

Now if I could just get CUPS to work that would be REALLY nice..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm totally doing this. I've been having a similar issue...

I figured it had something to do with Screen Expansion or something because my computer has been acting weird with that for a while. GDM shows up fine, which made me realize that the graphical interface was working...

Here is where I posted about this on my Dell C400 computer. I'm going to jump into my failsafe terminal and remove compiz and see what happens.

It had worked dandy before the Intrepid upgrade from Hardy.

I'll confirm it now.

Sweet! That did it... thanks for the advice. I should have known to axe Compiz, but since it worked it the past, it didn't seem to make sense.

Welcome to testing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I would like to add that this happens to me too, but only on my second monitor, which runs on a different X server. My Monitor0 runs on 1280x800, and Monitor1 runs on 1440x900. The result is that the remaining 160x100 pixels "not present" on Monitor0 are drawn black; windows can not exist in them, but the mouse can.