Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual boot starting with vista

Beans

Question dual boot starting with vista

i have read a how to guide on setting up dual boot when u start wih vista. i have on problems except that i can't get my laptop to boot from the cd as it says. as far as i know i made the cd right, i burned the iso to the disc with power iso and everything went fine. my laptop is a toshiba satellite a215, with a turion 64 x2 tl-60, so i'm guessing i was supposed to use the second download for 64 bit processors (correct me if i'm wrong). however i tried both downloads and neither of them would boot. as i started up my comp i went to the boot menu and selected boot from cd/dvd and when i hit enter all it did was start up windows. please let me know what i've done wrong,if anything, or if my computer is some special case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: dual boot starting with vista

Quote Originally Posted by HelterSkelter1989 View Post
    i have read a how to guide on setting up dual boot when u start wih vista. i have on problems except that i can't get my laptop to boot from the cd as it says. as far as i know i made the cd right, i burned the iso to the disc with power iso and everything went fine. my laptop is a toshiba satellite a215, with a turion 64 x2 tl-60, so i'm guessing i was supposed to use the second download for 64 bit processors (correct me if i'm wrong). however i tried both downloads and neither of them would boot. as i started up my comp i went to the boot menu and selected boot from cd/dvd and when i hit enter all it did was start up windows. please let me know what i've done wrong,if anything, or if my computer is some special case.
    Try the cd on another computer. If it boots on another box, then the cd is OK. If not, good chance it's borked....
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans

i don't have another computer i can use :{

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

most likely your settings are not set to boot from CD in your BIOS.

Check your BIOS settings.

as for the part about 64bit vs 32bit ... it doesn't really matter. It's all up to your preference. In the future 64bit programs should work better than 32bit, but at this point in time they are about the same.

(in fact you might still need to run 32bit programs like flash on a 64bit system until the programmers make a 64bit version)
    Last edited by Keen101; October 13th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Keen101 View Post
    most likely your settings are not set to boot from CD in your BIOS.

Check your BIOS settings.
    Load up your bios at boot and look for a section called boot. You'll need to make sure that cdrom is loaded before your hard drive. This will allow you to boot from your cd.

Save changes and restart. Your cd should boot right into ubuntu

Cheers

Amstell

Beans

i had tried that, it still refuses to boot from disk. could someone tell me step by step what u are supposed to do to burn the iso to a cd, maybe i am just an idiot and did that wrong. also one thing i though was funny was it said there wasn't enough room on a cd to burn the 64 bit iso, but i manged for the other. what am i doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

are you sure you did not just burn the file onto the CD. IE when you browse the CD in windows what is displayed. does it display a cd with the .iso file on the disk, or does the CD have a name, and several folders and files on the disk?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Beans

okay that worked :} . i dunno why my program wouldn't burn it correctly. anyways im about to try to set up the dual boot thing, so wish me luck!

Beans

one last thing. in the guide it says to shrink the volume so that ubuntu will install on the largest continuous partition (may have said that wrong). my problem with that is it leaves only 14 gb left on my hard drive as free space. once i install ubuntu, can i then boot up in vista then extend the volume to take up the space unused by the installation or will it be tied up forever? also how could i uninstall ubuntu if i ever need to?

here is the link to the guide: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...rst.htm?page=2
    Last edited by HelterSkelter1989; October 13th, 2008 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by HelterSkelter1989 View Post
    my problem with that is it leaves only 14 gb left on my hard drive as free space. once i install ubuntu, can i then boot up in vista then extend the volume to take up the space unused by the installation or will it be tied up forever?
    Well in theory you could do that, but it would be difficult.

I think you are tight on hard drive space and I suggest you get a second hard drive (OS hate it when you run out of space).

I also think you could (should) install Ubuntu into 10 Gb of total space.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast