Thread: remote control ubuntu online

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

remote control ubuntu online

i am looking for something like logmein that i can use from a mac or windows or even a Liunx computer to control my ubuntu computer as if i was sat in front of it but i need it to be online based as a lot of the time a firewall or router will block me from using a client to control it. i need it to be an online website so it can be used anywhere i have a internet connection.
    free would be great but i am open on this one as long as it not high

as i have this set up as a file server as well as a desktop computer so yes i am using the desktop version so at times i may need to change a few small things in the gui
    thank you for your help
    Last edited by dellboy; March 13th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: remote control ubuntu online

I think what you are looking for is "webmin"

Beans

There are two major, widley used protocals that can do this. these are

SSH and VNC

ssh - Once you have install an ssh server (openSSH-server) on the system you wish to connct to all you have to do in the terminal is type 'ssh username@ipaddress' hit return and you will effectivley be prompted with a terminal on the remote system on your local system. this is also much more powerfull, allowing you to use tunnels, scp for file transfers etc.. etc... SSH clients are build into linux and OSX out of the box and on windows you will need a program called putty to connect to an SSH server.

VNC - A protocal, similer to microsoft remote desktop, that lets you effectivly see and controle a remote system. Cross platform, you will need VNC server software installed on the system you wish to controle and a VNC client on the system you wish to connect from and controle the server. Im sure other users can help on the names of recommended software - I dont really use VNC.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i don't think webadmin is the right thing. i am here as i all ready have a file server set up with nettalk for my mac and other software so my Liunx computers and windows can see it on my home based network only. i think what i am looking for is somthing like Tobywuk said i have used vnc before but i don't think its going to help me for where i may need to use it as they block the port that vnc uses. i could get around it by using ssh as i have a server set up where i can login to ssh to any server but i dont think you can see the gui with ssh can you ? its just command line

cheers again guys for your help and i will keep webadmin in mind for when i need to set up a full running server saves me getting a nother box to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendofTom View Post
    I think what you are looking for is "webmin"

Beans

If a firewall is blocking the VNC port you could just change the Port VNC uses to one that is open and works.

SSH is command line, although with the -x command you can use a GUI with a program your running.

Another option is SSH Tunneling. If ssh Works then you can use this ssh connection and pass all your other traffic through it, including your VNC session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ok i have found a program called JollysFastVNC for my mac and using vnc for the rest of the computers but what i want to now at the moment JollysFastVNC is finding it as i am on the network but what host name would i use when i am not at my house ?

i tryped tpying in ifconfig but i am not sure if anyone of them ips are right

thank you again for your help