Hello,
    in your post you said:
    "
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-eeepc/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/sierra.ko
    license: GPL
    version: v.1.3.1b
    description: USB Driver for Sierra Wireless USB modems
    "
    this is exactly what i need, the driver for sierra 885 wirelesse modem for eeepc but
    make and makeconfig doesn't works on the eeepc, the kernel headers seems miss the dir /usr/lib/modules/linux.2.6.21-/build

can you directly pass me the ko driver?

Beans

Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

Quote Originally Posted by faustcoder View Post
    I have a far simpler way of getting it to work!!!!
    In NetworkManager right click and edit connections, then add *99***1# to number. REMOVE the username and APN, leave password alone. You should be able to connect!!!! If not please let me know and I'll provide more info!
    On Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition.
    I plugged in the Telstra Turbo 7 Modem (Sierra Compass 885)
    Followed those instructions and it worked, first try at full speed.

You sir are god.

THANKYOU

Beans

Angry Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

Hi.

The first few days after I bought the C885 modem it works flawlessly until I bump to this post. Running the modinfo sierra gives me that I'm running the sierra wireless version 1.3.something. I guess Jaunty already include this package. Since I'm on Jaunty, I thought it's best for me to use version 1.7.1. So, I downloaded the new kernel code and I've did every single steps but sadly, whenever I plug in the modem the power LED turns amber not blue, signalling error state.

Desparately need help since I'm so new to ubuntu...
    Last edited by networm; May 4th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This may or may not be a shock to folks, but upgrade to Jaunty (9.04) and simply insert the Mercury card (carrier = AT&T, in the US) and you get a "mobile connection" wizard and pick AT&T as the provider and poof, you are online.

It happened so fast, I almost missed it. UBUNTU amazes me everytime. It has taken Linux to new heights never seen before..

thanks, dev!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've tried everything on this thread to no avail. I am running 9.04 on a sony vaio SR165E, and am trying to plug in an AT&T mercury connect usb and am getting nowhere.

Anyone have any suggestions to move forward?

Beans

Red face Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

Quote Originally Posted by prgiorgio View Post
    Hello,
    in your post you said:
    "
    "
    this is exactly what i need, the driver for sierra 885 wirelesse modem for eeepc but
    make and makeconfig doesn't works on the eeepc, the kernel headers seems miss the dir /usr/lib/modules/linux.2.6.21-/build

Has anyone gotten this to work with one of those HP MINIs with the hp linux?
    I tried by enabling the root terminal in settings. Installed the network manager 0.7. Downloaded the 1.3.1b driver. Had to apt-get install build-essentials to get make to run.
    But make crashed because it said the sierra.ko file was missing like on the eeepc example in the quote. I searched for the sierra.ko file and it said it was in a different directory. I was stuck there.

I did get the ATT USBconnect mercury modem to work on an XP box, and a Ubuntu 8.04 box.
    Last edited by Exciterusa; June 12th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Beans

helo,

thanks for all advice, but none of them works for me. i'm using ACER 4530, sierra compass 885 (and it has at&t logo in it). is it possible that different country has different settings ?? i'm living in indonesia using indosatm2.

Beans

Talking Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

Quote Originally Posted by bull205 View Post
    I've tried everything on this thread to no avail. I am running 9.04 on a sony vaio SR165E, and am trying to plug in an AT&T mercury connect usb and am getting nowhere.

Anyone have any suggestions to move forward?
    New firmware: worked a treat on XP
    http://kusumayadi.web.id/?p=193

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

Quote Originally Posted by prgiorgio View Post
    Hello,
    in your post you said:
    "
    "

i think you should install "build-essential" and all depedencies from synaptic.

on my hardy (8.04), after install that driver, i still cannot use my 885U as modem (but i can see blue indicator led power).
    Maybe too much edit 10-modem.fdi file , can anyone pass me "10-modem.fdi" especially on hardy (8.04).
    [that file located on /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop]

THX

Beans

Cool Re: How-to Sierra Wireless Compass 885

after i flashed the 855 with the link i posted above, 855 worked straight away on 9.04 and on LM.

it dose have the tendency to heatup alot though and drops out to cool down. but the funny thing is that it dosnt overheat and drop out when plugged into xp only on a ubuntu based system....i hope they find a fix for this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast