Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardy can't access windows shares

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation hardy can't access windows shares

I'm running ubuntu hardy heron using VirtualBox on windows vista host. As like other users, I have problems accessing windows shares.

I installed samba, and whenever I tried to explore my windows share using nautlius, I can only see my computer and then no windows shares at all.

Next, I tried to type smb://computername/mysharedfolder and sometimes works. Other times, it asks me for permission (which is weird because I don't set password protected sharing in vista). After a while I figured out what's wrong.

I went to Computer Management on vista and check on my shares, and for some reason ubuntu tries to connect to my shared folder, like 10 connections simultaneously (vista default share policy is to allow maximum 10 simultaneous connections). No wonder I could not even access my own shared folder using my vista. It asks me for password. I had to disconnect all the connections from ubuntu first, then I can get into my shared folder in vista (still can't browse the list of shared folder though, i have to write down the addres of the shared folder).

Can anyone confirm this bug?

Beans

Re: hardy can't access windows shares

My problem is similar. I have followed all the steps of gangtengx, but have not had any success at all. When checking the shares on my vista machine, one attempt at connecting from Ubuntu creates 3 IPC$ connections, no errors I simply see no shares. Connecting to my XP machine I see in my security log an invalid password message. My password is valid, I can access shares on my Ubuntu machine from xp but not Vista. I also reach a dead end when trying to install my windows(Vista) shared printer on Ubuntu.
    Last edited by techieguy_100; October 13th, 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Beans

Unhappy Re: hardy can't access windows shares

Has this problem truly stumped all the gurus? I see posts up the wazoo on this problem, but the only ones replying are the rookies & newbies.

Beans
    Distro

i think it is.. it is a known bug for nautilus to access windows share in hardy heron, i'm posting this just to make sure people know why nautilus sometime can access the windows share but not all the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gantengx View Post
    i think it is.. it is a known bug for nautilus to access windows share in hardy heron, i'm posting this just to make sure people know why nautilus sometime can access the windows share but not all the time.
    maybe you should try Krusader instead of nautilus
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install krusader
    ASUS F8P
    C2D T8100 3GB ram
    Radeon HD2400 256MB fixed up to 1534MB shared
    Ubuntu 8.10 64bit eyecandied to the bone, 8.04 32bit Vista home premium

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sponzenbroekske View Post
    maybe you should try Krusader instead of nautilus
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install krusader
    that is one way to workaround this problem, but i think it is the best for the nautilus/gnome team to actually solve this bug. hopefully interprid won't have this problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did some looking around and it seems that there are alot of people having issues similar to yours. Like this for example.

Another way to connect, which I use rather then the gui is from the terminal. I found this guide that might be useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

Hope that helps

Beans

try it with using
    Code:
    smb://IPaddress/usershare
    seeems the bug is mainly when accessing it by share name but seems to work 99% of the time with the IP address. Once you have the share, you can always bookmark it so you don't have to try and connect everytime.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

you'll have to setup virtualbox network in a spicific way in ourder to get that to work, it has to deal with the way networking is setup for the virtual machine, check the virtualbox manual for details.
    There is an easy way, and a hard way to do things.
    If you're anything like me, you've tried to do things things the hard way,

and broke something.......

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by halitech View Post
    try it with using
    Code:
    smb://IPaddress/usershare
    seeems the bug is mainly when accessing it by share name but seems to work 99% of the time with the IP address. Once you have the share, you can always bookmark it so you don't have to try and connect everytime.
    Yes, i did that as well. The problem lies in the implementation of samba by nautilus. Because when I actually managed to connect to my computer, then I went to check on the Computer Management on windows and I noticed that ubuntu tries to connect as many connections as possible simultaneously (where 10 is the default limit).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast