Thread: Make Ubuntu look like XP for mom (x/Ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Make Ubuntu look like XP for mom (x/Ubuntu)

That's the Media Center theme, not the original XP one. They're similar.
    I've used Win 98 for about 6 years, moved to XP for about 2 years, and then saw the light
    Many people want to move to Linux, but can't because their parents or other, older people who use their computer can't get used to it, so that's the solution.
    I have no idea how to do it on Kubuntu, but that should be similar.

Step 1: icons. Get GnomeXP here. Unpack it to your desktop, then run the terminal. Type in :
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    sudo cp -r GnomeXP /usr/share/icons
    Now, go to Appearance in Ubuntu, or Settings Manager -> User Interface -> Icon Theme in Xubuntu. Choose GnomeXP.
    Now you have XP-style icons.

Step 2: GTK2 theme. Download it here. You can use the Metacity theme too, if you like.

Code:
    sudo cp -r XPRoyale /usr/share/icons
    Step 3: *Xubuntu only* - xfwm4 theme - get it here. You need just the Royale directory and the xfwm4 directory in it. Unpack to desktop, then type in terminal - (first make sure you're in the unpacked directory)
    Code:
    sudo cp -r Royale /usr/share/icons
    Step 4: wallpapers - the original one here, the media center one here.

Step 5: launchers - create a launcher with the caption "My Computer", choose the icon computer for it (from /usr/share/icons/GnomeXP), with the command : Ubuntu - nautlius / , Xubuntu - thunar / .
    Then rename your Home launcher to My Documents or simply create a new one, add a launcher to Trash named Recycle Bin (the command is "nautlius trash:///" or "thunar trash:///"). Now you're done.

Step 6: remove your panels, create one, docked at bottom panel, insert a menu on left side, clock and tray on right side, and windows list between them. You can add some launchers to simulate "quick launch" too.
    Use
    Code:
    /usr/share/icons/GnomeXP/48x48/places/distributor-logo.png
    as the menu icon.

Step 7: *optional* - search for a matching Firefox theme, M$ Office icons for OpenOffice launchers and icons for Pidgin, etc'.

*NOTE* : it's possible to remove the desktop icons background, just google it.

The result: something similar to this -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Make Ubuntu look like XP for mom (x/Ubuntu)

still, better than the original
    IN GIRUM IMUS NOCTE ET CONSUMIMUR IGNI