Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to install windows xp but i can't

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: I want to install windows xp but i can't

I mean how could it possible to shrink a file system. Didn't ubuntu use the space yet ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Still can't do this. Just like before. I have shrinked the file system and created an ntfs partion.What's wrong?

Beans

Did you finish created a new space? (gparted/Partition Editor)

That space of the disk is where you can install your WinXP..
    Its better to install WinXP before Ubuntu, because it is simple for Ubuntu to override Operating System than Winxp.

" i love the installation of Ubuntu than WinXP in means of touching other system"..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello,

Are you by chance using a RAID or SATA controller? The original XP installer CD comes without support for most RAID or AHCI SATA controllers, so it won't see the disks. If you are using RAID or AHCI, either go to BIOS and disable RAID / set SATA to Legacy (aka compatibility) mode, or slipstream the controller drivers onto your XP CD with NLite

If this applies to you and you want to slipstream, download the controller driver from your manufacturer's site and then you can follow this tutorial.

Good luck
    Last edited by Orange_and_Green; October 13th, 2008 at 09:12 AM.
    鳴かぬなら鳴かせてみようホトトギス

I love you Aki

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by rybaxs View Post
    Did you finish created a new space? (gparted/Partition Editor)

That space of the disk is where you can install your WinXP..
    Its better to install WinXP before Ubuntu, because it is simple for Ubuntu to override Operating System than Winxp.

" i love the installation of Ubuntu than WinXP in means of touching other system"..
    How to completely uninstall ubuntu so that i can install winxp? Do i need to format my disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Orange_and_Green View Post
    Hello,

Are you by chance using a RAID or SATA controller? The original XP installer CD comes without support for most RAID or AHCI SATA controllers, so it won't see the disks. If you are using RAID or AHCI, either go to BIOS and disable RAID / set SATA to Legacy (aka compatibility) mode, or slipstream the controller drivers onto your XP CD with NLite

If this applies to you and you want to slipstream, download the controller driver from your manufacturer's site and then you can follow this tutorial.

Good luck
    But I can install winxp using this cd before. That time i installed xp first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes you do need to format your hard disk. What you do is boot with an XP CD and then create a partition when installing.

After you install XP, you then Boot with the Live CD for ubuntu. Follow the instructions and create the partitions as required. Ubuntu 8.04 is more user friendly with the Partitions part.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by alwez_loner_TZ View Post
    Yes you do need to format your hard disk. What you do is boot with an XP CD and then create a partition when installing.

After you install XP, you then Boot with the Live CD for ubuntu. Follow the instructions and create the partitions as required. Ubuntu 8.04 is more user friendly with the Partitions part.
    I can't boot from the xp cd.That's the problem.But i can boot from the live cd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You might be better creating an empty space at the beginning of the hdd with the livecd for it and leave it unformatted.

Windows does like partitions at the beginning of the drive, but will soemtimes deal with them in middle - it's obvioulsy not liking it for you.

What you want to end up with in gparted is

unallocated space |Linux drives

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amazingjxq View Post
    I can't boot from the xp cd.That's the problem.But i can boot from the live cd.
    I think when you have created an empty space, XP can find the new created empty space that you've created at the Gparted/Partition Editor.
    Thats the empty space where you need to install the XP. When you are finish installing the windows XP, Im my experience before i've encountered a problem before, that the GRUB will be gone, and you need to configure this so that you can boot both Ubuntu and WinXp.

What do you mean by XP CD can't boot? is your XP cd bootable disk?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast