Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumored Alternatives to Spore?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Rumored Alternatives to Spore?

Well also on a side note even if OpenSpore turns out to just a clone, having it would at least give others something to work with!
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

I'm usually open to supporting just about any game that's free and runs on Linux, but that is not the case with "Open Spore" and any similar projects. To me, there are just so many things wrong with this idea. First of all, it's obviously way too ambitious. Even with the most talented open source game developers out there working at a fairly brisk pace (for an open source project anyway) it would still take many years to produce anything remotely like Spore.

And even if the developers did manage to somehow gather a large group of talented individuals and somehow managed to keep them working steadily together for years, such an endeavor would likely have some negative effects on other current and future open source game projects. As it is though, I expect a small group of intermediate game makers to mess with the idea, waste countless hours, then inevitably give it up.

In the end, even if all these obstacles are surpassed, it still doesn't change the fact that Spore really is not that great of a game. So if you're going to spend a huge amount of time and effort recreating a commercial game, why this one? And there's also the fact that it would still just be a clone... From a developer's standpoint, why work so hard on something that will inevitably be nothing more than a bad knock-off, instead of creating your own masterpiece (like Pixel did with Cave Story)? And from a gamer's standpoint, well you think you think you'd want to play something original, or at least better than a bad clone...

My opinions aside, the chances of something like "Open Spore" ever reaching what might be called a finished state are so small as to be basically nonexistent. To any brave souls willing to work on such a project, I wish you luck. You're going to need it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Isn't Spore kind of similar to a web (Flash) based game where you start out as a single-celled organism and "eat" your way up to a more complex life-form -I remember playing it on Windows... any idea what game I'm remembering? -It was actually quite fun (if simplistic -compared to Spore). I just can't think of the name. Any ideas?
    -fiver22.

Beans
    Hidden!

idk Maxis had a game called SimEarth if thats what your thinking about...then again it wasn't flash...i don't think flash was around yet at the time either though. Its not the same thing as spore but meh. Anywho if only we could get the makers of spore to provide at least the base material to create alternatives to spore more easly for linux.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; October 14th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

openSpore sounds like a marvelous idea without the DRM rubbish.

I doubt EA would let it happen though nevermind give the base materials.

Beans

I don't think there are currently any spore clones for Linux.

There's always the Creatures Series. Docking Station currently has a Linux port:

http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/ds/ds_index.php

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    Then why not try to do what Spore failed to do? Just because it failed at the way it did it doesn't mean it wasn't on the right track! I personally think spore was going in a good direction it just needed a lot more work on it thats all. After all Thomas Edison's first attempt at producing a light bulb didn't work either but did he stop? Of course not we wouldn't have a lot of things we do today if he did!
    Just to be fair, Thomas Edison didn't invent the lightbulb, one of his engineers did. He just took the patent. Anyway, I'd like to see it happen, but remember that it took somewhere around eight years to make spore, so this may take a while.

Beans

I know a perfect alternative to Spore, somethingnthat Im really excited about. Its called Thrive. The game is free and open source, but is still under development. they are seeking new members, and it would be great if you or any of your friends would join, because then we would finish the game sooner!

Thrive covers all the same stages as Spore, but goes into WAAY more depth for each one. Just search up Thrive the game on google, or start your reading at this site.

http://thrivegame.wikidot.com/

Hope this helped!

Beans
    Hidden!

Old thread closed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread re-opened due to OP's request.

PS - Easier way to get this done is to report the thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast