Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe To Upgrade to New 8.10?

Beans

Re: Safe To Upgrade to New 8.10?

Typically the official releases are in fact stable,,but waiting a week or so for all the "upgraded to 8.10 and hosed my system" reports that will come in is not a bad idea.

Actually this would be a good time for someone to go over the preferred upgrade method for those of us who always screw it up. I have been warned that hitting the upgrade now option is not the preferred way...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

My preferred way has always been a fresh install with a separate home partition. The old configuration is kept unless there's newer content.

There's nothing wrong with just upgrading, but sometimes one just wants to be rid of the fluff that accumulates as one uses a system, you know? ;p
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Safe To Upgrade to New 8.10?

Good current talk about it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945861

I don't get to do that very often (almost never)--I'm just waiting for Jaunty to open the repositories & jump towards 9.04
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I mainly use my computer for internet based apps, music, email, and the occasional DVD operations, and home movie editing.

the problem with windows was CONSTANT reboots and reinstalls after i used too much *edgy* software.

about a year ago I became hooked on open source. that finally brought me to linux after i spent about an hour in forums and finally learned how to use ndswrapper which was the only thing holding me back.

so far, the switch has been great! Haven't seen the blue screen of death in over a month (which is a huge relief). I've even become confident enough to start storing my files locally instead of keeping it all online in one of my many storage accounts.

i am slowly but surely gaining confidence that i won't have to do a clean install every couple of months and the lack of need for proprietary software is refreshing to say the least.

thanks for all the comments. i mean, i only posted this question a few minutes ago and i already can't keep up with the replies.

thanks all!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    I'm just waiting for Jaunty to open the repositories & jump towards 9.04
    Wow, isn't that a bit hasty? ;p
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro

Well--you're in one of the most used sections of the forums (at least for me)--We rely on each other for debug & support--It could get kind'a lonely out on the edge without your mates backin' you up......and working with half-done software is one of the MOST addictive things I've ever done...You get to where you feel let down with a piddlin 20mb worth of new upgrades......
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Also, will things like ndswrapper, vm, etc need to be set up again? assuming all goes well with the upgrade?

Beans
    Distro

No my friend--I grow impatient about this time every release--no fun--just mop-up up to the release & then the wait until the new toys show up --been doing this from almost the first release & STILL like the half-stable stuff......

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    Wow, isn't that a bit hasty? ;p
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Try to just upgrade & see what happens--If it's C***d up--there will always be someone that has a answer--We really try to support each other (and you can bet that is much better than "Microsloth Support"--what a joke that is)....Sorry--don't want to turn this into a bash session........

Quote Originally Posted by russ5811 View Post
    Also, will things like ndswrapper, vm, etc need to be set up again? assuming all goes well with the upgrade?
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm as keen as anyone to get the new release but there's no way I'd upgrade my main system now. Even if there were no critical bugs, the daily updates are MASSIVE and risk all sorts of things.

I test in a VM and on a spare machine when I have one.

The upgrade process (via Update Manager, after release) has always worked well for me but I do an occasional clean install to cleanout my system.

After the 8.04 release (which was the worst for me since I started with 6.06) I will be waiting the suggest week after official release. I should note that 8.04.1 fixed all my problems and I'm now a bit reluctant to upgrade before I know there's no big problems.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast