Beans

suse is microsoft?

so i was going to try to install open suse 11 on my laptop

but then i read somewhere that suse is partners with microsoft

this really changed my mind about installing it on my system

i hate microsoft!

i do not want them to make any money from me using linux

so basically my question is...

if i install opensuse does microsoft actaully gain anything from it?

does microsoft collect statistics from opensuse?

does microsoft make any money when i use opensuse?

what does microsoft gain from this?

the reason i ask theese questions is because im more interested in destroying microsoft by using linux, not supporting them!

Beans

Re: suse is microsoft?

I believe not. Novell (the company supporting Suse and OpenSuse) is just partners. So far as I know, Microsoft doesn't care at all about Suse, just other services that Novell provides (Like their networking clients, etc.)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

The only way Microsoft would get money is if you bought a support voucher from them for SLED or SLES other wise no they would not get anything.

Beans

If you're not going to use SuSE because of the Novell deal you may as well stop using Ubuntu or most other distros. People seem to not realised that Novell are involved with many projects even parts of Gnome.

Beans

oh, I thought the title said "sue microsoft" I was coming in to sign my name...
    MS gonna get ya

Beans

well i have no problem with supporting novel

i just dont want to help the super rich get any richer

if microsoft isnt actually gaining anything from me using suse then i have no problems with installing it
    Last edited by tjwoosta; October 12th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

Personally, I thought the whole patent agreement was blown out of proportion. Novell has always been trying to gain Windows interoperability with their products, so this "agreement" was just a way of lending a hand. In fact, one of the first things that came out of the deal was the OpenOffice/OpenXML translator. It allows you to read .docx files in Novell's version of OpenOffice. In fact, I believe this feature has been incorporated into the upcoming OpenOffice.org 3.0 as well.

Besides, Microsoft can't make any money if you're not paying anything anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you help fix a bug in their product you are doing work for them.

If helping fix that bug helps it get fixed faster, and your helping costs less than the difference between having the bug and not, you have benefited as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    If you're not going to use SuSE because of the Novell deal you may as well stop using Ubuntu or most other distros. People seem to not realised that Novell are involved with many projects even parts of Gnome.
    Yes! Exactly
    They also actively develop OpenOffice, Compiz, Kde etc etc, and the improvements to it are patched for every other Linux distro too. I don't like the Novell/Microsoft Deal either.... but Novell are doing the right thing and still actively developing/improving and passing it on to the community for FREE.

Beans

I'd steer well clear of Novell.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast