Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: suse is microsoft?

Beans

Re: suse is microsoft?

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    so ahh...

whats so funny about my opinion?
    it's completely wrong to say you are all about freedom, then go on to say there's only one right way and that's free software. that's not freedom, it's a very narrow view.

the FSF are extremists who are selfish, they will never move on their opinions, they say if you don't use free software and only free software then you are doing wrong. they are wrong because there's room for both free software and proprietary software.

if i don't want to give away the source code it's none of their business, what right have they to stick their noses in what i'm doing? they have no right, they are wrong, it's that simple.

however, i do support both free and proprietary software, that's true freedom, freedom to pick the licence you see fit for your software.
    Last edited by ice60; December 7th, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ice60 View Post
    it's completely wrong to say you are all about freedom, then go on to say there's only one right way and that's free software. that's not freedom, it's a very narrow view.

the FSF are extremists who are selfish, they will never move on their opinions, they say if you don't use free software and only free software then you are doing wrong. they are wrong because there's room for both free software and proprietary software.

if i don't want to give away the source code it's none of their business, what right have they to stick their noses in what i'm doing? they have no right, they are wrong, it's that simple.

however, i do support both free and proprietary software, that's true freedom, freedom to pick the licence you see fit for your software.
    I couldn't agree more. Allowing the user to make that choice is part of the free market. If people really wouldn't want to use closed-source software, then it would disappear automatically. If they do want to use it, it's not the FSF's place to forbid them to do so. It's only their place to inform users about the advantages of open-source software. Nothinh more. Otherwise, they are the ones who restrict people's freedom to do what they want with their computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

so about all of these great contributions that novel has made to the linux community

were they before or after novel signed the deal with the devil?
    Novell has made numerous contributions to the Linux community before and after the deal with Microsoft.

Microsoft and Novell are working together to make Linux and Windows work better together. Microsoft is not trying to destroy Linux through Novell and Novell isn't giving away to Microsoft.

On an unrelated note, I personally will use any software that works, whether it is proprietary or open-source, or whether it is free or costs money. If it works, I'll use it. Supporting only open-source software is hypocritical. How can you support something that is all about freedom, when you are being closed-minded about other types of software?

Beans

so about all of these great contributions that novel has made to the linux community

Both. They contributed a great deal before the deal, and still continue even after. Where do you think many of those patches to the kernel come from?
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

novell contributes to those projects every day. they contributed before *AND* after the deal.

Beans

ok, thats a respectable opinion

but actually i am not a member of FSF, and i am certainly no extremist

i actually just visited that website for the first time when you mentioned it

i am not saying that one should only use free software and using any other software is wrong

actually i use some proprietary softwares myself, but if i get a choice i will choose the free software first

and since novell signed a deal like this with microsoft, i think its clear that novell will not be my first choice of a distro, because that would be almost like choosing choosing a company that supports proprietary software over a company that supports open software

anyway this thread seems to be going a bit off subject and im sorry for that, i just want to make my opinion about the subject clear so that maybe somebody who does not see the clarity of the situation can get a bit of a better view

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

and since novell signed a deal like this with microsoft, i think its clear that novell will not be my first choice of a distro, because that would be almost like choosing choosing a company that supports proprietary software over a company that supports open software
    I'm not going to try to sway you to use OpenSuse. I mean, I don't even use it. What I want to say is that Novell didn't suddenly prefer proprietary software over open-source software because it made a deal with Microsoft. The deal is there to improve interoperability between the proprietary software of Windows and the open-source software of Linux.

If anything, Novell has increased its support of open-source software since signing the deal with Microsoft. In 2007, they only contributed 3.6% of the total contributions to the Linux kernel made that year. This year, their contributions grew by 250%, contributing almost 7.4% of the total contributions to the Linux kernel.

Beans

Yes, Micro$oft made the deal out of pure altruism and love for the people.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    Yes, Micro$oft made the deal out of pure altruism and love for the people.
    Please stop using $ instead of s in Microsoft. It makes you're argument look that much worse, and you look that much more immature.

Anyway, I think they partnered so that they could share developers and such. They created the Interopability Lab to help each other, and since both are businesses, the deal makes sense. The whole world shouldn't revolve around the ideals of the FSF, and people like you make it seem like you're trying to get it to. Are businesses not allowed to preform actual business decisions anymore?

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Novell in any way. I am just someone who understands that Novell IS a business and will do something if it helps them earn a profit. Remember, the more profit Novell earns, the more developers Novell hires to develop for the Open Source community.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Please stop pretending that you don't understand that the extra bucks Novell will earn out of this deal will come from the pockets of the other GNU/Linux vendors.

Businesses care about money, that's for sure. And that's why I believe that community based distros like e.g. Debian are much more likely to make decisions that are good for the user instead of good for themselves.

I just don't like the fact that the world does revolve around Micro$oft and their unsound policies. And yes, I very much respect the work the people do at the FSF.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast