Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: suse is microsoft?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: suse is microsoft?

In 2008, Novell provided 8.9% of the total contributions to the Linux kernel itself, with a total of 7,385 changes to the kernel.

In addition to contributing to the kernel as a whole, Novell contributes to a vast number of open-source software projects, such as GNOME, Mozilla, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Perl, PHP, Samba, and Wine.

Therefore, you cannot say you don't use products that contain Novell code and use Linux at the same time. It would be hypocritical.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    In 2008, Novell provided 8.9% of the total contributions to the Linux kernel itself, with a total of 7,385 changes to the kernel.

In addition to contributing to the kernel as a whole, Novell contributes to a vast number of open-source software projects, such as GNOME, Mozilla, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Perl, PHP, Samba, and Wine.

Therefore, you cannot say you don't use products that contain Novell code and use Linux at the same time. It would be hypocritical.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thankyou.
    There can not be anymore debate about this issue. If you don't want to use Opensuse, that is fine... its your choice, But If your saying that you will Not use anything that Novell has any part in... because of your disapproval, Then Don't Use Linux At All! Because Novell Contribute to the OpenSource Community a Hell of A Lot! You cannot avoid not using anything with Novell code in it. And I don't see why it is a problem in the first place.... I mean, I don't like Microsoft, But Novell obviously see the need to make a deal with them to improve interoperability with windows so that the Users Benefit.... Lets face it, Windows is here and will be here for a long time, So if they want to make things better between the 2 operating systems to benefit Users/Business... Without Hurting The Linux Community in Any Way... I don't see the big Deal.
    Novell have said it themselves... They have only made a Deal with Microsoft, That doesn't mean they will Not Compete with them, Or stop contributing to the Opensource Community. They have not, and will not do such a thing... They have proven themselves to be doing the right thing and still contributing to Open source, and giving it away for FREE... and still providing us their "Open"Suse O.s, for FREE......

If Novell DOES do anything in the future to Hurt Linux, THEN... obviously, we would stop supporting Novell, and change distro's... thats the beauty of Linux, you are not Locked in to 1 O.S...You can change distro's whenever you like... But Until they do anything Evil... I will continue to support Novell... They can't afford to do anything to Hurt Linux... and they won't do it. All they do is continue to improve Linux and the Kernel, improve applications, and contribute in many other areas... They Put alot of Money into Linux..

So to all the People Who have a grudge over Novell/suse... Suck an Egg and Stop Using Linux ALL TOGETHER! And stop being Hypocrites

symon.
    Last edited by symon1980; December 7th, 2008 at 04:47 AM. Reason: link

Beans

If you truly value Linux I would recommend you support Novell. Chances are that if they go under, no telling where the UNIX IP will go. Do you really want that to happen?

Beans

Beans

so about all of these great contributions that novel has made to the linux community

were they before or after novel signed the deal with the devil?

Beans

Jeremy Allison and the Samba team wrote the best response to that deal.
    http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/

Beans

it's generally people that agree with the FSF that don't like novell, there's no arguing with people like that, they have very odd views.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans

i think all of you who support proprietary software have odd views

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    i think all of you who support proprietary software have odd views
    lol
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans

so ahh...

whats so funny about my opinion?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast