Thread: Random crashes on Dell D630 laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Random crashes on Dell D630 laptop

Since I bought my laptop (a Dell latitude D630) about 1 year ago I have occasionally a hard crash. Strange stripes appear on the screen, and many pixels blink. And there's nothing I can do except a hard shut-down (by pressing the power button for a while). Even "Syst keys" (as Syst-b) don't work. Anybody has a clue ?

(see attached images. I can provide higher resolution if needed)

I called Dell, and they changed the motherboard... but the crashes continue ! Very randomly, about once a week or every other week. It usually happens when I do nothing, but also that's not a firm rule. Last time I was working with inkscape...
    I don't think it is related to linux, since I had once a similar crash under Vista (but of course I spend only 0.01% of my time under Windows so it doesn't mean a lot...). It is probably not due to a failure of the LCD screen since it shows on an external monitor too.
    What could it be ?? This is very annoying...

I would appreciate any idea for helping, even small ones...

ps: I have read with great interest the thread about random crashes on Dell1525
    http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....d.php?t=904553
    Of course it is perhaps the same issue, but the particular screen corruption in my case seems to indicate something different...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Random crashes on Dell D630 laptop

That looks a lot like a RAM issue to me. If you still have the Dell partitions intact you may be able to run a memory test by booting to the Dell utility partition, or you may want to look for a bootable image that will let you check your RAM for possible errors. If it happens after using the computer for a certain length of time it could definitely be heat related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You could try to check here in the kubunut forums under hardware support ...make sure you know what release of kubuntu you use....hardy or gutsy etc

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=83.0
    Running Ubunty 11.10 and Chromium OS sometimes not at the same time!

Beans
    Distro

Toribor: thanks a lot for the suggestion.
    I have tried memtest on boot for several hours without errors. But crashes are sometimes separated by several days.. Should I really test the memory for several days ?

I don't think it is related to heat since it sometimes crashes a few minutes after boot...

Beans
    Distro

andybleaden: Thanks for pointing to this forum. I didn't know it.
    However, do you really think it could be specific to kubuntu ?

Beans
    Distro

So it seems that nobody here has any clue as to any possible reason for this kind of crash ?

usually when I have a problem I can find loads of people with the same issue, but not this time...