Thread: Multi boot Grub: which O/S responsible to update it on kernel upgrades ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Multi boot Grub: which O/S responsible to update it on kernel upgrades ?

I have a multi-boot home PC (see signature). I am starting to wonder about something. The actual Grub used on boot time is the one created by the last O/S I installed.

But I am starting to wonder what will happen if my other Linux O/S have major upgrades causing them to try to update the grub. Will they update the grub on their partition (not used by boot) or will they try to update the real booting grub ?

In other words, I want my real booting grub to always reflect the last booting infos of all my O/S no matter the upgrade they did. Is that possible ?
    Desktop: I5-2500 on a Z77 MB, 16Gb memory, GTX-570
    Windows-7 (trying to add Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Multi boot Grub: which O/S responsible to update it on kernel upgrades ?

I'm not too sure, but I think the OS (Linux OS) will update it's menu, which is not necessarily the main GRUB menu.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    I'm not too sure, but I think the OS (Linux OS) will update it's menu, which is not necessarily the main GRUB menu.
    Therefore, the real booting grub will be pointing to the old O/S's kernel. That's why I want to know how to have that real booting Grub with all updates of all O/S at all times.
    Desktop: I5-2500 on a Z77 MB, 16Gb memory, GTX-570
    Windows-7 (trying to add Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take a look at this site, the author often posts on this forum also:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm

Look for the section where he describes using a "grub partition"

A very small primary partition (I use 100MB, 50 is probably more than enough) is used to hold the grub bootloader that the MBR points. This is NOT a "boot partition", the kernels for each distro will reside on their own / filesystems. The menu.lst in this small partition will use chainloader statements to transfer boot to other bootable partitions. Those other partitions will have their own grub (or some other boot loader) installed. Each distro will update its own menu.lst without affecting the others. The website describes it very well.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Last edited by lswb; October 12th, 2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: double post
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The hermanzone site is very good.

There are a few suggestions here as well :

How to Multi-boot (Maintain more then 2 OS) - Ubuntu Forums
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface