Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex - Audio problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

8.10 - Intrepid Ibex - Audio problems

Dear all,

I'm having a problem with Ubuntu 8.10 since I've made a dist upgrade from 8.04.

Everything worked good on 8.04 but after the upgrade to 8.10 I'm having problems with audio.

Two states:
    Everything but flash works
    Nothing but flash works

After booting Ubuntu and changing everything to OSS almost everything works.

Only problem I have is Flash. Youtube for example, Zattoo or anything else with flash does not and noise.

If I killall pulseaudio I have sound on Youtube. But everything else is not working then.

I did a upgrade to the newest flash player already...

Anybody has a hint?

Best regards

Jonas

### Btw this is a repost from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...64#post5948264

Beans

Re: 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex - Audio problems

I have the same problem. Fresh Alpha6 install. No sound in flash, but I do get the login-sound so I think it's only flash.

Beans
    Distro

Yes this was what I had also.

I've tried this: http://nebelbank.blogspot.com/2008/0...eta-astro.html

After doing this I have crackling sounds in flash videos.

I also have a crackling sound when loggin on...

Best regards

Jonas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Manually installing flash is *never* a good idea, it will always cause problems in the future. The version in Intrepid is now the latest.

Your problem is PulseAudio. Look at the PulseAudio fixes thread and ensure it's configured correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Can you make sure you have all the updates and try to remove your .asound* and .pulse/* files?

Beans

I used psyke83 method and everything seemed to work OK until I tried capturing sound (Sound Recorder and Skype). The config crashed sound recorder and caused Skype to fail when trying to make a call.
    I Played around for quite some time and got everything working by changing sound capture to OSS (system - preferences - sound .... left everything else to autodetect) then changing my Skype setup to;
    *Sound in - HDA intel
    *Sound out - Pulse
    *Ringing - Default device.
    Any other settings caused Skype to fail when trying to make a call. (2.0.0.72-0medibuntu3)

Heres my hardware for what its worth.
    description: Audio device
    product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1b
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
    version: 03
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

Sound capture is very quiet and crackly but at least its working.

Also I notice that when I open volume control the capture is always muted. If I unmute it, close the volume control and reopen it again the capture volume is again muted.

Using Intrepid Beta on 64bit.
    Kernel 2.6.27-7-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All sound works for apart from Capture. It just does not work in Skype, and as I use this for work also, it would be good if it could be fixed before the release date. I think intrepid on the whole is brilliant otherwise, things are working, that have never worked before.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Payteer View Post
    All sound works for apart from Capture. It just does not work in Skype, and as I use this for work also, it would be good if it could be fixed before the release date. I think intrepid on the whole is brilliant otherwise, things are working, that have never worked before.
    Go back to my guide and you'll see Skype mentioned. Instructions to properly configure Skype are in the Hardy version of the guide (basically, set the capture device in Skype to the hardware device, not pulse).

Beans
    Distro

I'm having a similar problem since I upgraded to 8.10. Sound comes out okay for most applications using my Logitech USB speakers, but not with the speakers that are built-in to my laptop. When I use Skype, I always get a lot of static on those speakers, but not in other applications (or at least, in which I have observed thus far). That actually was a problem in 8.04 too, so I think that part is a Skype issue.

To get around that, I had been using the built-in Intel 82801CA-ICH3 sound adaptor. The problem is that when I now try to use that adaptor under ALSA or OSS, I get no sound. The USB speakers only work on OSS, no sound using ALSA.

This problem is new since having upgraded to Intrepid Ibex...ALSA was fine prior to the upgrade. I've already tried deleting the .asound files...no change. Other possibilities?

Jim

Beans

I seem to be having the same problem as jimdon77. No sound using alsa since upgrade to Ibex RC, though bluetooth headphones worked fine with alsa.

I've tried everything I can think of, inc reloading alsa and deleting my .asound* and .pulse* files.

The sound card is detected A-OK, and has index 0. The sound is not muted.

I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work... yet it just doesn't work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast