Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living a "Google Free" Life

Living a "Google Free" Life

I hate Google. Not for their policies, not for how much their services suck and defiantly not for their lack of support for Open Source. No, rather I hate Google because it is dominating. It is becoming our benevolent web dictator, every day more power is surrendered, every day we come closer to the Gweb ( my term for google having absolute control online).

Thus over the last few months I have been searching for Google alternatives to the many products and services they offer. I have found quite a few good services and some that have vast amounts of potential. After switching to gmail (I HAD to give up on Hotmail even though I was searching for alternatives to other services) I increased the urgency of my quest and after Google released Chrome I quadrupled my efforts. Until today I was still searching but no longer! Today, after I click this I will start my "Google Free" life. A life I hope promotes a better, freer web. Yes, you can thank me for taking this bullet for you.

My Choices

The following is a list of alternative services I will be using in the new frontier. Please note that with two exceptions I will NOT use a Google service for any reason from now on. These exceptions are Youtube links given to me by other individuals. Gmail access in order to move my mail over.

Google Search ---------------------> Wikia Search

iGoogle (homepage) ---------------------> (still deciding)

Google News ---------------------> (still deciding)

Gmail ---------------------> Zoho Mail

YouTube ---------------------> (still deciding)

Google Docs ---------------------> Zoho

I would gladly welcome any suggestions you guys have for alternative applications and services.
    Last edited by Ellipsis; October 11th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Beans

Re: Living a "Google Free" Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
    I hate Google. Not for their policies, not for how much their services suck and defiantly not for their lack of support for Open Source. No, rather I hate Google because it is dominating. It is becoming our benevolent web dictator, every day more power is surrendered, every day we come closer to the Gweb ( my term for google having absolute control online).
    They don't have "control" they just off a lot of choices.

You are very irrational...

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    They don't have "control" they just off a lot of choices.

You are very irrational...
    I understand that but they have the ability to gain lots of control.Google is in many ways is building a "web" around themselves...just look at all the services they provide. I for one do not think that giving one company that much power is a good idea.

This is not solely a thing about "HATE" it is also about discovering new and better applications and services.
    Last edited by Ellipsis; October 11th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

I understand that but they have the ability to gain lots of control.Google is in many ways is building a "web" around themselves...just look at all the services they provide. I for one do not think that giving one company that much power is a good idea.
    Google follows the standards and doesn't try to create new ones. It has many quality free services as well.

This is not solely a thing about "HATE" it is also about discovering new and better applications and services.
    Well, that is not what I got from the post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I love Google because they are strong enough to stand up to Microsoft!
    The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners.

Beans
    Hidden!

The following is a list of alternative services I will be using in the new frontier. Please note that with two exceptions I will NOT use a Google service for any reason from now on. These exceptions are Youtube links given to me by other individuals. Gmail access in order to move my mail over.

Google Search ---------------------> Wikia Search

iGoogle (homepage) ---------------------> (still deciding)

Google News ---------------------> (still deciding)

Gmail ---------------------> Zoho Mail

YouTube ---------------------> (still deciding)

Google Docs ---------------------> Zoho

I would gladly welcome any suggestions you guys have for alternative applications and services.
    Zoho to get away from Google? I think I missed something here - Zoho's mail login screen has a similar appearance to Gmail and says to sign in with Google or Yahoo....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Meh. I don't like Google as much as I once did and don't use their browser partly because of that. But I don't trust "Zoho" any more, and even somewhat less, than Google. Google, I know. I may not trust them not to track me, but I don't think they are some fly-by-night operation bent on selling my home phone number to telemarketers and my Gmail account to SPAMMERs.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Google follows the standards and doesn't try to create new ones. It has many quality free services as well.
    Google's services are great (as I have said) but we are in danger of being "locked in" to Google. Google is linking many of it's services together in such a way that even if there is a better mail/search/other service it becomes inconvenient to use it compared with using Google's alternative product.

Well, that is not what I got from the post
    Yeah, I should tone down my use of the word "HATE".

Beans

I don't see anything wrong with Google. But if you're looking for an alternative to iGoogle, I'd recommend netvibes.
    Last.fm | Linux User#449102 | Ubuntu User#15213
    NEVER type a command you don't understand eg. sudo rm -rf / or something similar
    Learn about them here or here.

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Zoho to get away from Google? I think I missed something here - Zoho's mail login screen has a similar appearance to Gmail and says to sign in with Google or Yahoo....
    Yeah the page style is oddly familiar but the site is managed by a separate company.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast